Safety

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MIKE ANDRESEN
    Participant

In our search for a retirement country, Belize is high on our list. Crime is everywhere but what are some good ways to determine how safe a particular area is? I know that by looking at how kept an area is & talking to expats would be helpful but being a different culture we might interpret things differently or incorrectly. I remember being in Portugal, at first I felt unsafe due to seeing how old some of the area was, but after spending more time there I realized that just because an area is old doesn’t mean that it is full of crime. In the US, we demolish buildings so quickly, we are not use to seeing things centuries old.
    What are some tips to determine the safety of an area?
    Thank you, Laura & Mike

Laura & Mike,

Crime is a very sensitive topic, so your question is pertinent, especially the way you explained how we North Americans can at times have a skewed perspective that is based on our limited cultural experience. Belize often gets a bad rap for crime because the crime statistics for Belize City are high, compared to the rest of the country. We do have our fair share of petty crime here, as the country is poor. Most crime is from items being stolen, such as phones, cameras, IPads and computers. They can easily be resold for quick money. Violent crime is still quite unusual. And when it occurs it’s typically between Belizeans. You will hear about a very few violent crimes against expats. Most that I’ve heard of involved a relationship gone bad, or some type of drug deal.

Crime varies between towns and neighborhoods. For instance, on Ambergris Caye, where we live, crime is lowest on the south side of the island, where many expats live. The expat community formed and funds an effective neighborhood watch. Some of the locals neighborhoods have more home breakins. So do ask about the local neighborhood watch. More of them are being formed these days.

And, on the island, all of the condominium complexes have guards that patrol the area, as do the resorts. I assume this is the case in Placencia, as well. Home break ins are quite unusual in those communities with guards. But if you were to buy a home located in an isolated area near the border with Guatemala, there would be the possibility that bandidos from Guatemala would come across the border and break into your home. I’ve heard of this happening, so I would not recommend living in an isolated area near the border with Guatemala.

I grew up in Detroit and lived in Oakland, California for over 20 years, so am not too phased by crime in Belize, as compared to those cities in the USA. I walk around in Belize City by myself when I fly or boat over there for a dentist’s appointment, or to shop. But I don’t wander into the dicey neighborhoods. Nor do I wear much jewelry. So just use common sense and you will be fine in Belize. Most of the areas where expats live are pretty safe, especially when compared to an urban city in the USA.

But be sure to visit and talk to a lot of expats in those areas where you will consider relocating. Read the on-line forums, like http://www.ambergriscaye.com, for the regions you are interested in. The participants talk about crime and many other topics that are sensitive. You will see some extreme positions from a small group of expats who often no longer live in Belize. But, overall, you’ll get a broad view. Then come, visit, and talk to as many people as you can before you decide where to move in Belize.

CHARLES S.

I was somewhat surprised to learn that Belize has a quite high murder rate-somewhere in the top20 worldwide- the USA is about 110. Detroit and a few other US cities are much worse the national average. Is Belize city the riskiest place in this regard? Our attention has been focused mostly on the area just south of the Mexican border not far from Chetumal . Is that area fairly safe? Guatemala of course isn’t far away, noting your comments about cross border banditos..
    ยท

Most of the murders in Belize occur in Belize City, where there are territorial gang wars, similar to large cities in the USA. That is why I steer expats away from Belize City. And, also, it is just not an attractive part of Belize when compared to other areas.

Crime is also higher along the borders with Guatemala and Mexico. The border with Guatemala is worse. But there are few murders or there as compared to Belize City.

From a safety standpoint, Corozal in general is considered a safe place to live. But if you lived by yourself, in a house near the border with Mexico, you would have a higher risk of a home intrusion than if you decided to live in a development with others who look out for one another, or if you were living near or in Corozal itself.

In general, expats are not violent crime targets in Belize. Most crimes are Belizeans against Belizeans. But before you buy in a particular area it would be good to talk to expats in the area and to check on line Forums and local papers to check on recent crime trends.

In the towns, most crimes are petty theft crimes where a computer, phone, IPad or camera is stolen from a person, or their home. Typically no one is hurt in this type of crime.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.