Safety in Quito (and Ecuador in general)

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Safety in Quito (and Ecuador in general)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    HECTOR H.

I just watched an interview of President Rafael Correa (Entrevista del Presidente Rafael Correa en Rusia Today 11/06/20150)
    where he acknowledges the serious problem of violent demonstrations [in Quito and in other cities ] in Ecuador.
    He said the “streets are hot” (las calles estan calientes)…
    He said and of course he is right – he knows what he is talking about-
    that his opposition is and won’t cease in trying to pull him down his office before 2017
    when he (or his political party, Alianza Pais) would not be defeated.

Since I’m considering/planning to move to Quito late this year (Oct-Dec),
    my question for the experts (and to anyone reading this) is the following:
    What’s your feeling regarding the current situation in Quito and in Ecuador in general?
    Does it look worrisome?

Thanks for your reply,

-hjh

“Violent” demonstrations is a bit of an overstatement. In Ecuador demonstrators make a lot of noise (as does Correa) and sometimes block traffic, but the riots, overturned burning cars and other media images I’m sure you’ve seen on TV news just don’t happen here.

Here is what one expat in Quito reported about the demonstrations yesterday.

Just came back home. Nothing to report, other than Correa friendly and opposing parties demonstrated their opinions in a peaceful manner, although one could hear quite a lot of obscenities. About 700 police were there. Difficult to say how many people in one side and the other… but about 1500 to 2000 anti Correa and about the same pro Correa. Anti-Correa People kept arriving when I left, so I think they will continue there for a while.

As Edd said, the violent demonstrations that we might see in other places are not an issue here. Ecuadoreans use their right to demonstrate and do so whenever they feel change is needed. But they’re not interested in wreaking havoc, they simply want their voices heard.

I don’t know of anyone here who is concerned about the demonstrations, though most will stay clear of those areas where the demonstrations are taking place because like Edd mentioned it can make a lot of noise and create traffic jams.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.