SAFETY – Why the bars on the windows and coiled barbed wire on the walls?

Homepage Forums Panama Insider SAFETY – Why the bars on the windows and coiled barbed wire on the walls?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

My husband and I have a great interest in Panama, but we have a concern with safety. Pictures you see, and real estate listings, often have high fences with coiled barbed wire, or the properties are in gated communities. We do not want to feel unsafe in a new country. I’ve read the ‘Safety and the Single Woman’ topic, but I still have concerns. My husband talked to an attorney who said he had been robbed on the street 4 times in Panama City.

Hi Lynda- we are all concerned about our safety, where ever we live, and crime exists here in Panama as anywhere else. (I read about violent shootings in the US almost every week.)

It is common to see security bars on windows and doors here, and I have them on my house in David. They are a basic precaution against burglary, which is perhaps the most frequent threat here. Properties with high walls and coiled barbed wire are a bit extreme, but not unusual. Many of the newer communities and developments here are gated communities, because this is what buyers prefer, not only for security but for a sense of exclusivity.

I do not believe crime here is any more of an issue than elsewhere, and in fact Panama is one of the safest countries in Central America. I’m sad to hear about the attorney who was robbed, and I think street crime is more of a problem in Panama City than elsewhere in the country. I feel perfectly safe here, and I go wherever I want by myself.

That said, you have to have common sense and know there are areas in any place to avoid. Don’t engage in behavior that might put you at risk, don’t flaunt your wealth in public, don’t make yourself a target or a threat. Wouldn’t you do the same in LA, Miami or NYC?

It all comes down to your own comfort level, and of course you want to feel safe here. Perhaps the best way to decide is to visit Panama and get a feel for it in person. Then you’ll know if it’s right or not for you and your husband. Best of luck!

Hello ladies,

I’ll add my two cents:

It is important to note that safety is relative. Latin American cities (and U.S. cities) tend not to rank amongst the top 20 safest in the world according to indexes by organizations like Mercer. Generally Canada and European countries take the top spots.

Cities tend to have more people and thus proportionately more crime than smaller towns. That said, I live in Panama City full-time and feel perfectly safe going out alone, be it during the day or late at night. Every city has its good and bad areas, so I avoid the bad ones, just as I did when I lived in Eugene OR and Richmond VA. Most of downtown Panama City–the financial district and surrounding areas, for example–is perfectly safe. You’ll see restaurants and little bars open till late and people walking down the avenues.

Don’t just take our word for it. Talk to expats and locals when you visit. Many of the expats living here will tell you that they feel safe. Many comment about the visible police presence and experiences with helpful members of the police. These same expats also agree that it’s best to use common sense and never take safety for granted. It all boils down to not making yourself a target.

I’ll add that I have never been mugged in Panama City nor has my home ever been broken into. My car was broken into once about fifteen years ago. I’d made the mistake of putting some gifts and my camera in the back seat (this is best done before you park).

Most Latin American countries I have visited use the same security measures as Panama: bars on windows etc in lieu of expensive and annoying alarms.

Regards,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.