Scouting Trip To Ecuador In March, April or May for 30 Days. Any Suggestions?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Scouting Trip To Ecuador In March, April or May for 30 Days. Any Suggestions?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MICHAEL R.

Hello Everyone

I’m planning a scouting trip to Ecuador in March, April or May. I plan to be there for approximately 30 days.
    I will start off in Quito and head south to Cuenca for 4 or 5 days, then continue south to Loja for 4 or 5 days, then to
    Vilacabamba for 3 or 4 days. I’ll then head over to the coast to Machala, then up the coast to Guayaquil, then Salinas and
    up to Manta and then inland back to Quito. My question is for Expats in Ecuador is, are there any small towns or cities
    I should include my itinerary? The second question is, I’m planning on spending approx. $100 per day for accommodations, food and travel expenses, is that a reasonable budget per day? Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to retire in one of 4 towns (Cuenca, Loja, Salina or Manta, but I’m open to any areas with a large Expat Community).

Thanks for your suggestions and ideas,
    Mike Ryan
    San Diego, California
    biz.expert@live.com

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Mike, see the itineraries section on this Ecuador Insider website, and see the forum response I just posted in response to Elisabeth Moss’s query.

I’d suggest you add Montanita/Olon to your list and if the beach is what you’re after, I’d suggest you go to Bahia de Caraquez and Canoa. And maybe even Pueto Lopez/Puerto Cayo and even, possibly, Crucita.

(Personally, I’d bypass Machala and Guayaquil if I were pressed for time. You won’t find many expats in either of these places.)

As for your second question, yes you can do this easily on your budget, especially if you are traveling by bus/shuttle, you stay in reasonably priced hostels or hotels, and you don’t need to eat and drink the expensive stuff.

MICHAEL R.

Hello Suzan

Thanks for the great advice, I will read your response to Elisabeth Moss’s query and all the responses.
    Question: What is the best time of year to see the coast? I understand that Manta is less rainy than other areas.
    I will do more research on the beach towns you mentioned above. The main thing is that I want to be near other Expats.

Sincerely,
    Mike Ryan
    San Diego, CA
    biz.expert@live.com

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Mike, you will find expats in all those places I mentioned. Keep an eye on El Nino — this is supposed to be a difficult event for Ecuador this coming year, but I think you have your itinerary well planned in regards to weather — do the coast last and your chances of rain are not high at that time of year… unless, of course, El Nino lingers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.