Several questions about an upcoming visit

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Several questions about an upcoming visit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    GARY POLLICE

Well, this summer (end of June to the middle of July), my wife and I are taking our first trip to Ecuador to begin scouting out whether it’s where we want to retire. I’m really looking forward to it. My initial instinct from what I’ve read in IL and other sources is that Cuenca is the type of place we’d like to go. Loja is also intriguing to us. As we prepare, we’ve had a couple of questions that maybe some of you folks here can answer (some simple, some probably too involved). So, here goes. Feel free to chime in if you have any opinions or answers.

In Cuenca I know there are a couple of universities. Have any of you folks had any dealings with them? What I mean is do you take courses there, teach there, help out, or what? I teach computer science at a university in MA and would really enjoy giving a class or two if we moved to Cuenca. One of my colleagues here is from Cuenca, so I’ve got a little bit of knowledge, but I’m wondering what others might have experienced.
    What is the Internet service like in Cuenca? What are the typical speeds that you see?
    We’re going to spend a couple of days in Cuenca looking at housing. We’re interested in everything from condominiums to houses, as long as they don’t require us to have a car. I want to get away from that requirement. Are there any areas that you think are better than others that we should concentrate on?
    I really enjoy bicycling. Is there a lot of cycling activity around Cuenca?
    Finally, a simple thing I hope. My wife read in one of the books she’s been going through that people dress more formally for dining out? True or false? What’s recommended in order to fit in? We’re not looking for haute cuisine, just nice restaurants.

A couple of my friends teach at the universities but I have no idea of the process for getting on board. I believe a Master’s level education or higher is required. A variety of Internet speeds are available depending on your budget. You’d be best served by hiring a real estate agent to show you available properties since you’ll be here such a short time. Contact Maribel Crespo, owner of Ecuadorable Properties, at crespomaribel@hotmail.com. No idea what book your wife is reading, but dressing up for dinner is not expected. Too many gringos underdress, in my humble opinion, but at most a pair of slacks and a jacket would be perfectly acceptable.

GARY POLLICE

Thanks so much Edd.

Right, I would never wear sweat pants out of the house but I know a lot of people who do… More power to them, of course and it is none of my business, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable in them. And you wouldn’t see an Ecuadorian wearing them out to dinner.

As for biking, you’ll probably want to find a route with little traffic — then you’ll be fine.

Sorry, forgot to answer your biking question. There are several clubs that meet in the evenings to bike around Cuenca, and I see lots of folks riding around on the weekends. Bikes are not used much for basic transportation here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.