Sewing Machines

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Sewing Machines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

We will be retiring and hopefully moving to Cuenca in 561 days, but whose counting. I enjoy sewing and hope to do more when I retire. I recently decided I “need” a new sewing machine and I’m totally smitten with a high tech, computerized machine, it has lasers!!! While reading reviews, my practical side kicked in, is there any place to get this serviced in Ecuador? If anything goes wrong with the electronics, do I now have a $4,000 paper weight? So now I’m thinking of a mechanical machine that maybe I can learn to fix myself. What sewing machines are common there, what is available and what can be fixed? Any sewing, quilting or crafting groups in Cuenca?

Thanks

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Susan, I will see what I can find out for you… In fact, I just posted your question on a Facebook group I belong to, called Expat Women of Ecuador. If you’re on Facebook, you may want to join that group. Most of the women live in Cuenca. Meanwhile, I will let you know if I get a response.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I’ve also just learned there is a Facebook group called Sewing in Ecuador — wow!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

This is a long read, but may be helpful to you… good advice here, from a Facebook page I belong to:

Karen Kimbler Cuenca Crafters is also a FB group. I have seen a Sewing Machine service store on Remigio Crespo y Unidad Nantional.. across the street from Boyacá.
    September 17 at 3:42pm · Like

Suzan Haskins Karen, do you think they service high-tech, computerized machines with lasers?
    September 17 at 3:48pm · Edited · Like

Karen Kimbler No clue… you would have to go by and ask them.
    September 17 at 4:00pm · Like

Suzan Haskins I will tell her, thanks.
    September 17 at 4:10pm · Like

Karen Kimbler Suzan Haskins are you in Cuenca?
    September 17 at 4:33pm · Like

Nancy Diane Turpin Suzan Haskins there are a number of sewing machine shops, I know for sure there’s Singer here, and I think I’ve seen Brother…but they are the more common types with various stitches and maybe some embroidery stitches…not much higher priced than in USA
    September 17 at 6:33pm · Like

Nancy Hofmeister The Brother machines here are all low end that would cost $75-100 in the US. There are some Singers here that sell for $400 here. Not sure of price in US (Prob $200-250) Getting a $4000 laser computerized machine – no where in Cuenca. Getting the same repaired here – not likely. I have not seen any computerized machines being repaired in any of the stores here. The most prevalent machines for sale here are industrial Singers and Jukis.
    September 17 at 7:17pm · Like

Jennifer Buchanan Lawrence do they still sell the low end treadle machines?
    September 17 at 7:20pm · Like

Nancy Hofmeister Hi. I am the moderator for the Sewing in Ecuador group and will be happy to add you and/or your friend. Just go to the site and click on the “join” button. There are lots of us who sew here. BTW – if your friend is into quilting, there is another group on FB called Cuenca Quilt Guilt. They will happy to tell your friend about the dearth of good quilting fabric here. There is other fabric all over the place, just not for quilting. it is not something the Ecuadorian women do.
    September 17 at 7:21pm · Like

Nancy Hofmeister Jennifer Buchanan Lawrence – I have not seen any treadle machines with the possible exception of antiques stores and low cost they are not. However, you can get lucky and find a feather weight for next to nothing – after you do lots of looking. I gave up as the ones I found were missing some essentials like electric cords, the gadget that holds the foot on, stuff you can’t replace here. Well, I take that back, the sewing machine repair stores are full of old stuff. They MIGHT be of some help if you speak really good Spanish.
    September 17 at 7:27pm · Like

Jennifer Buchanan Lawrence feather weights? I have managed to acquire a collection of them! I have about 4 – well, my mother seems to have confiscated them for her quilting group, but they are mine. I plan on taking 1 or 2 down with me if I can.
    September 17 at 8:32pm · Like

Suzan Haskins She wants to buy a high-tech machine in the US and bring it here to Ecuador, but she’s working about getting it serviced. That’s the dilemma. Thanks again for your input.
    September 17 at 8:45pm · Like

Karen Kimbler She needs the name brand of the machine.. then have someone here go to the store and enquire for her. OR, the machine maker might have information about service centers in South America.
    September 17 at 8:47pm · Edited · Unlike · 1

Lena Lynch Yes you can get newer singer treadles here in Loja, I see them often for about $80!
    16 hours ago · Like · 2

Jennifer Buchanan Lawrence I thought maybe, because there are a significant number of women with no electricity who sew. The last time I was in Mexico, walked by a sewing machine store with rows of brand new treadles. I restrained from drooling on them. However that was a while ago.
    16 hours ago · Like

Cinzia Bottaro Torres If you love sewing you can make teddy bear for the cancer children in the hospital ! You can make them a little happiness !
    It took me two hours to make one by hand and plan to make many more .
    14 hours ago via mobile · Like

Cynthia Connell I too plan on bringing my Bernina and know there is no service in EC. Also are there spinning groups there in Cuenca?
    11 hours ago · Like

Geri Jeter Could try a Web search for a specific brand. The company webpages often have worldwide authorized service centers listed.
    5 hours ago · Like

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.