shipping household stuff

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum shipping household stuff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    G W FRAZIER

We plan to move to the Arenal area later this year.  We don’t want to ship our furniture, but some stuff like books, pictures, pots & pans and the like; not enough to load a “container,” but maybe a couple hundred pounds.  What is the best way?

On the same subject, I would like to move all my  household goods and barn tools down in the hopes of finding a small farm where I can grow my own vegetables, herbs and fruits.   My furniture is sentimental to me and I don’t want to part with it.  Is shipping better than a moving company coming thru Mexico?  I also have a dog and cat!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

GW – A great alternative is to ship a “crate” – you can go by air cargo or by taking up just some space in a container. You might try pricing out that cost versus shipping some stuff by mail and taking some in your suitcases – maxing your baggage allowance. It might turn out cheaper to pay the extra bag fee.

Christine – Any moving company you contact will be shipping your stuff down by boat. They pick up your stuff in North American and take it to a port in the U.S. like Miami. Then a Costa Rican moving company takes over when it gets here. But I’ll recommend that you first find a CR moving company and ask which U.S. company they want to work with because the CR company will be familiar with the customs process down here.

Dog and cat transport is easy. I wrote an article on this, check it out here: https://internationalliving.com/2012/06/how-to-travel-with-pets-to-costa-rica/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.