Six month maximum stay on a visitor's permit.

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Six month maximum stay on a visitor's permit.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    I am somewhat bewildered by the conflicting accounts of the difficulties encountered by visitors who want to renew their permit after the initial 6 month period. It was my understanding that the visitor’s permit could be renewed indefinitely as long as the monthly fees were acquitted. However, according to what I have recently read, the Immigration Dept. wishes to strictly enforce the existing regulations that prohibit visitors from staying longer than 6 months after which they are required to leave the country for 14 days before returning.
    I would greatly appreciate some guidance pertaining to this situation.

Furthermore, I would like to know if any of the members have retained legal advice in order to facilitate their enrollment in the QRP program.
    Do they strongly recommend it ? What fees did they encounter ?
    I have recently contacted the Courtenay Coye law firm. Does anyone have any experience with them ?

We are eagerly anticipating our upcoming move to Belize and wish to thank you again for your help.

Pierre Bernier
    Angela Perreault
    Quebec, Canada

Pierre,

Yes, the Immigration Department has now taken a more rigid approach to visas than in the past. It is an evolving situation. In the article I wrote for a recent Belize Insider I explained that you should assume you’ll need to leave for 2 weeks at the end of your six months visa. When you return the visa process will restart. The Immigration Dept. seems to be pushing expats towards becoming QRPs. At least, that is the sense I get from what I’ve heard from various expats who are getting their visa stamped each month. It makes sense, since the Belizean government needs more US dollars to flow into the Central Bank, to support the current rate of 2/1 BZ/US $s. The QRP program provides them with a consistent flow of US $s into Belize.

If you know you plan to become a QRP, then you can start that process immediately. You can get the forms on line and gather the info before coming here. IN particular, you’ll need to get your police report done in your home country. In the past it’s taken about 2 months to complete. But recently I’ve heard it is taking longer. You can do it on your own, without a lawyer. But if you do hire a law firm they may push it through more quickly than if you do it on your own. I don’t know what they charge, as it will vary from one firm to another. But most have an hourly rate of US$300/hr. Courtney Coye herself has a decent reputation as a Belizean lawyer. But I have not heard about the other lawyers in her firm.

PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

Hello Ann, thanks again for your judicious advice
    Everything considered, we will start the QRP procedures before leaving for Belize.

PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

Hi Ann and David, your comments and advice are invaluable.
    I will be bringing most of the required documentation with me including the police reports.
    I phoned the BTB and they won’t start the QRP until all the documents are included with the application so it will be priority #1 when we get there.
    I am going outside now to dig out from under a huge snowstorm that hit us yesterday…
    12 days to go!

DAVID L.
    Participant

Pierre, be careful of the timing. If you are planning to use the duty-free aspect of QRP, you have 12 months from when the QRP application is approved and you pay the addition fees to use the duty-free aspect. If you are planning to move soon including household goods, then apply as soon as possible. Once approved, pay your additional fees quickly. When you move, you’ll need two letters from BTB addressed to Customs. One for your vehicle and one for your household goods. Keep a detailed list of the household goods you are shipping along with the value of each item. Besides knowing what you are shipping is handy to have, BTB will require it for the Custom’s letter. We moved a significant amount of household goods and paid only $300 in duty (for old rakes, shovels, a power washer, and something else). I am not sure how value is calculated. I think it just depends on your broker and the customs officer.
    On the flip side, I applied and was approved for QRP. However, we weren’t moving until our house sold in the States. Therefore, once approved, I let the application just sit there for 6 months until we had a contract on the house then I paid the additional fees and started the 12-month clock.

Hope this helps, David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.