So many questions about moving

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum So many questions about moving

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sheri Miller
    Participant

Hi there. We are a retired military couple from Canada and we are developing plans to find a house in the Corozal area and moving to take up full time residency in Belize. I (Toby) have been there on a few occasions (as a member of Canada’s Special Operations Forces) on trips to train the Belize Special Assignment Group out of Belize city. Then we, as a couple, have also spent time there, in the Cayes, as tourists. We know we love the country and the people but have numerous “logistical” questions. These will come up over the next few months I’m sure and so I thought I would start a thread to see what advice or answers people could provide.

Currently we drive a 4wd 2017 F-150. Does this vehicle make sense to have down there? Is it going to be difficult to get it repaired or serviced? Would a simpler vehicle make more sense? (We are 100% retired and I intend to put in for the QRP. I believe that at 49 years old I can qualify).

What is it like getting medications there? (I was wounded in Afghanistan and some medications I have to take regularly).

Once an offer is accepted on a house how long should we expect it to take to get possession? I understand it can take time for the local banks to transfer ownership etc.

What “must bring from North America” items did you bring or wished you had brought?

I’m sure we will have a ton more questions and thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer.

Toby and Sheri

Hi Toni and Sheri, congrats on your decision! I am always partial to say that you are better off purchasing a Mahindra in country as service is so accessible, and service and parts for most any imported car is going to be more difficult. Medications – you don’t need a prescription for many meds in country, and many are cheaper than in the US, and you should be able to email or Facebook message the pharmacies (or pay a visit when you are here) to inquire about specific medications. Housing – it will be in your contract how long, but you may not get the land certificate/transfer documents for many months after closing. You may read about impatience with the land department, but you can move in based on terms in your contract, 30-60 days is the norm. Living in Belize now, you can get about anything and or use the various shoppers to get anything from the states, so no worries on any can’t miss items!

Sheri Miller
    Participant

Thanks Laura. We are coming down for (another) look around for 2 weeks in Nov. We are hoping someone can recommend a realtor in Corozal for us to maybe have lunch with during the visit, and even look at a few properties. Does anyone have any recomendations?

I am also trying to determin if there is a mechanic anywhere in Belize or Chetumal who is qualified to work on Harley Davidsons.

Toby and Sheri

Hi Toby and Sheri, I would consider working with Macarena Rose, who is well known throughout the country for real estate. She is very easy to find online and very well known in the country. She is an expert on all things real estate in Belize and has many connections here. Macarenarose.com There is a Harley Davidson store at the Belize International Airport now, and a yearly-ish Harley bike rally in Belize. I looked into this and there are a few active motorcycle groups on Facebook, if you search for motorcycle mechanics there were a few good leads, the group Belize Expats is also helpful for niche information. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.