Spanish language schools

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Spanish language schools

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    boyer27707

We will be coming to Cuenca in early November and staying thru most of December. Although we have some Spanish we would be interested in taking lesson for the first month that we are there. Any recommendations about schools in Cuenca & why? thanks

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

You might check out the Simon Bolivar School — they have schools in Quito, Cuenca and the Amazon — and they’ll also do classes via Skype if you want to get started before you arrive.

Does one need a teaching cert. or other credentilals to get a job teaching English?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Mark, it depends where you want to teach — in an accredited school, you’ll need a certificate. Elsewhere — especially if you work as a private tutor — you may not.

JOHN RUSCICA
    Participant

Hola. I highly recommend Simon Bolivar. I attended one-on-one lessons for four weeks, five days a week, four hours per day. I also participated in many of the evening activities. If you chose hostel rather than homestay, I also recommend that you have Alexandra at the school make a reservation at Hostal La Castellana which is located next to the school. The hostel is more like a hotel, has a great staff, nice breakfast, is clean, has internet, etc. Fausto, the school director, does a great job. The staff is very professional and there is plenty of opportunity to practice spanish with faculty and students. My spanish is “high-intermediate” level. I was really able to accelerate my learning with the one-on-one, four hour per day sessions. I’ve taken group lessons before and although they are more fun, you will learn much more by constantly speaking and having a custom learning plan. The Simon Bolivar learning materials are excellent. I plan to return. By the way, you will find it hard to return to the US after living in Cuenca. Have fun!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Thanks, John, that’s good to know. And just to be clear, you studied at the Simon Bolivar School in Cuenca, right?

JOHN RUSCICA
    Participant

Yes, I attended Simon Bolivar School in Cuenca five days a week for four weeks.

Checked out the websites for the Hostal La Castellana and for Simon Bolivar School and was very impressed. Looks like we won’t get down there until 2014 but I’ve bookmarked both of them and will be checking them out. Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.