Specific Canadian issues

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Specific Canadian issues

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    CLAUDE DESLAURIERS
    Participant

1) Do we keep getting our CPP and OAS benefits when living in Ecuador?
    2) If one has rental property in Ecuador, is it reported on Canadian or Ecuadorian tax returns?

Hi Claude,

Here’s what we at IL were told by a Canadian attorney in response to your inquiries.

1. A person can receive both CPP and OAS benefits when living outside of Canada provided that they otherwise qualify. In order to receive CPP benefits, the person must be at least 60 years of age and, of course, must have made contributions to the plan. In order to receive OAS benefits, the person must be at least 65 years or older and have been a Canadian citizen or legal resident on the day before they left Canada. They must have also resided in Canada for at least 20 years after turning 18. The amount of the benefits to which the person may be entitled depends on their income and their length of residence in Canada, amongst other factors.

2. Assuming that the person is resident in Canada, their income and any capital gains from the rental property in Ecuador must be reported on Canadian income tax returns. A person who is deemed to be resident in Canada for income tax purposes is taxable on their worldwide income.

If you are interested in severing your residency ties with Canada you can reach the attorney, Doug Hendler at dhendler@blaney.com and he can fill you in on what that entails. Please be aware however that he does charge for his services and will require a retainer.

For information on what Ecuador’s tax laws require in the way of rental income I suggest contacting the Ecuadorian law firm of Moreno di Donato. Their website is http://www.morenodidonato.com and they should be able to assist you.

CLAUDE DESLAURIERS
    Participant

Thank you so much Wendy for the information, my mind is now at ease. Looking to retire in Ecuador in the near future so this kind of info is of major importance to my spouse and I.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.