Starting a Business

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Starting a Business

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    MARK MCCOOL

My wife and I want to move to CR and purchase a B&B. What would the financial and residency requirements be to do so. We are in our mid 50’s and would be selling our primary home in order to make the move. I saw a B&B for sale on craigs list that caught my attention. Where is the best place to start? We live in US.

Hi Mark,

You could technically buy a B&B on a tourist visa, which gives you 90 days in the country. To renew your visa you would have to leave CR every 90 days. You could go to Nicaragua or Panama, travel elsewhere, or head to the States.

Of course, that can get really annoying. So the best bet is to secure a temporary residency.

If you or your wife has $1,000 coming in each month from a pension, you could get pensionado residency for both of you.

To secure rentista residency, you could deposit $60,000 in a Costa Rican bank. You need to do that every two years although you don’t have to spend the money.

For inversionista residency you can invest $200,000 in any sort of property or business.

The process of buying and running a B&B is much like the States. You would have to register employees with the government for Social Security benefits, pay taxes, get licenses from the local govt, etc. Of course, if you buy an existing B&B much of that would already be taken care of.

As far as where to start, I would do some online research first. Craiglist is good. Viviun.com and Businessesforsale.com also have listings for hotels and B&Bs.

Once you’ve narrowed down some areas you want to visit, take a scouting trip to see if the area can support another B&B.

Jason

MARK MCCOOL

Thanks for the reply Jason, so if I understand correctly, I purchase a business that costs over 200K would qualify under inversionista residency. Or do I have to invest 200k in actual cash?

Hi Mark,

I believe purchasing a business over $200k would qualify you. But I would advise you to confirm with a lawyer who deals with the residency process.

A great contact is Roger Peterson, a Costa Rican attorney based in San Jose: http://www.plawcr.com

STEVE HILL

<>

Does this mean a deposit of an additional $60k every two years is needed, or is it just necessary to confirm a minimum $60k available balance in the account at 2-year intervals?

I believe you just need to maintain a minimum of $60k, which they check every two years.

MARK MCCOOL

Jason, what types of financing are avaible to someone wanting to purchase a business that has a large downpayment?

Hi Mark,

I’m not very familiar with financing for buying a business. I know it’s definitely not as common as in the U.S. But banks and other lenders in CR do provide small business loans. On the residential property side, sometimes owners provide financing – that might be the case with businesses as well. I have even heard of U.S. banks providing loans for this purpose – you might try there.

Cash deals seem to be most common.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.