Stay in Cotacaci and Otavalo area

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Stay in Cotacaci and Otavalo area

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

I am planning a return trip to Ecuador to see areas that I did not get to see on my first trip.

We planon staying in the Cotacaci and Otavalo area for five nights which poses the following questions:

Would you recommend staying in Cotacaci for 3 nights and Otavalo for 2 nights or some other division of the nights?

Can you hire a taxi driver for a day and pay by the hour? If so, how much would the likely charge be for each hour?

How far apart are the two cities?

Would it make more sense to stay at one location for the 5 nights and just taxi to the other for visiting?

Larry Schultz

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Thanks Jim. As I can think of further questions I will contact you again.

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Jim

Thought of another question. Can you rent a car in Cotacachi? Can you get a GPS which operates in English? How expensive is it? Is it easy to find your way around that area of Ecuador as I am geographically challenged?

Thank you.

Lawrence,

I’m not aware of a car rental agency in Cotacachi. We rented a car at the Quito airport. Most major chains can include GPS, you would have to check with them about language. We used our smart phones and GPS apps, but I should mention it can still be tricky as the maps don’t seem to be updated as often as in North America. If you are traveling on a tourist visa, you will need a valid passport, valid US drivers license, and proof of insurance. We have been able to rent for an average of about $45 a day, but of course that will vary with the rental agency, type of car, etc. You should also know that some rental agencies will want to put a $5,000 charge on a credit card against possible damages, returned when you return the car in good condition.

I have more information about renting cars and the roads in Ecuador at http://jimsantosblog.com/2016/05/17/tips-for-driving-in-ecuador/

Suzan has some info on car costs and drivers in the Cotacachi area at https://internationalliving.com/2016/08/august-2016-2/

-jim

Hi Lawrence,

I’m sorry I’m late to the conversation. I live in Cotacachi and agree with Jim that staying in one spot and then taking day trips to other places makes the most sense. If you’re thinking of living in Cotacachi, I would stay there. Most people agree that La Cuadra is the best place in town to stay as they have a great location just off the main plaza, friendly helpful owners, and nice facilities. If you want more of the tourist experience, stay in Otavalo. It’s loaded full of hostals and restaurants and shops.

You can rent a car, but it’s very easy to take buses too. They run every ten minutes and it costs 35 cents per person from Otavalo to Cotacachi. 55 cents from Cotacachi to Ibarra. It’s very affordable and easy to get around. But if you do want to rent a car, you’ll need to do so in Quito as there are no car rentals in this area.

LAWRENCE SCHULTZ
    Participant

Wendy

Thanks for the information A couple of questions. 1. Would you recommend La Cuadra as opposed to La Mirage and second, will it be easy to get taxis in Cotacachi to rent by the hour for excursions?

Thank yoiu.

Lawrence,

My two cents – my wife and I stayed at La Cuadra, and we thought it was wonderful. When we return to Cotacachi this June, we will stay there again.

-jim

You really can’t compare La Cuadra and La Mirage as they are very different experiences. La Mirage is a luxury resort of sorts with a price to match. If you have the money and don’t mind spending it, you’ll be very comfortable there and feel like royalty. There’s a pool, on-site massage therapists, a great restaurant on the grounds, and a comfy places to relax.

As I mentioned before, La Cuadra has great owners, a good location, and is a comfortable place to stay. It’s what most visitors choose because it has a much more inclusive price point. But you won’t find peacocks roaming the grounds or edible rose petals in your room as at La Mirage.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.