Swimming in Quito, Cuenca, & elsewhere

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Swimming in Quito, Cuenca, & elsewhere

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I’m considering retiring in Ecuador, but don’t want to live on a sweltering coastline. Are there good lakes, ponds, or swimming holes in the areas around Quito or Cuenca or Loja? Also, is it generally too cold to swim outdoors there because of the altitude? I swim every day, & this is a topic almost never mentioned on the Internet.

Robert Russell, Madison WI

Robert, in Cuenca there is a very nice indoor pool at the University that is enjoyed by many expats. Our natural water is quite cold since it originates in the nearby Cajas mountains, but since you’re from Wisconsin you might find it refreshing!

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Same in Quito and Imbabura province. There are pools, but the lakes are cold. Go lower in elevation and you’ll find swimmable rivers, for instance near Banos and Mindo.

DIANE OUTERBRIDGE
    Participant

Robert, I’m late in arriving to this site, but…Hotel Quito has a great outdoor pool (good temp), Vilcabamba has a nice pool at Hosteria Izhcayluma (if you’re staying there)…also outdoor pool. We’re building at Pakakuna Gardens (outside Quito) where there is an outdoor pool and an indoor pool is planned, also. Swimming is very important to us as well.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Right — you can purchase a monthly membership to use the pools at Hotel Quito and the Marriott Hotel – -and possibly the Swissotel, too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.