T3 – 90 day tourist VISA

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum T3 – 90 day tourist VISA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Donald Birch
    Participant

I understand that the 90 day period for a T3 stay is based upon entry date and not the end of a calendar year. In 2017 my wife and I arrived in Ecuador on January 31st and returned to Canada on March 31st (60 day stay). If we returned to Ecuador say on January 2,2018 would the 30 days until January 31,2018 count towards the T3 initiated on January 31,2017 – and then a new 90 day T3 period would automatically commence on February 1,2018 (meaning that we could theoretically stay in Ecuador another 90 days until April 30,2018)??? Is this accumulation permitted or is a 90 day stay the maximum ever allowed on a T3 (meaning that if we arrived in Ecuador on January 2,2018 we would have to leave April 2,2018)??? Thank you for any relevant information.

Mr. Birch,

You are correct that the first 30 days would be on your first 90-day period. However, I do not know if it would “automatically” pick up the new 90-day period, without having your passport scanned and stamped again. Seems like you would need an exit stamp to show you had completed the first 90, and an entry to show you started the next. Also, be advised that they count the day you entered and the day you left as part of your stay when calculating time in the country.

I will email an imigration attorney about this, but Monday is a holiday here, so it may take a while to hear back. Meanwhile, I suggest your best source of up to date information is the Ecuador Consulate website. They were very good about responding to email questions when my wife and I were preparing to apply for residency visas.

http://www.ecuador.org/nuevosite/serviciosconsulares_e.php

Address: 2535 15th St NW, Washington, D.C., 20009
    Phone Numbers: 202-551-9124 / 202-551-9125 / 202-551-9126
    E-Mail: consuladoecuadordc@gmail.com / cecuwashington@mmrree.gob.ec

Hope that helps,

-jim

Vicki Mcbride
    Participant

tourist visa information is different now. Please update as of the latest changes. Also info along with this on what type of health insurance is required. Ecuador is the country I am interested in.
    thank you, Vicki mcbride

Vicki, the T-3 tourist requirements have not changed as far as the basics go – 90 days per 12-month period, must have at least 6 months remaining on your passport. The requirement for health insurance for tourists has not been finalized yet. The current deadline is May 5th, but it has been changed twice already. There is no clear plan for what type of insurance will be accepted, how it will be verified, where it will be checked, or repercussions if the entering tourist cannot provide proof. There are already indications that the May deadline may be moved to August. In fact, some Ecuadorian civil groups have filed complaints, stating the regulation is unconstitutional. So in short, nothing is for sure yet. Those of us who live in Ecuador are monitoring this in the local news, and we will provide updated information as soon as there is a policy in place.

-jim

Vicki Mcbride
    Participant

reply to Jim Santos. Please check again. AN expert in imigration was on this podcast://www.abecuador.com/podcast episode 28th February 17th. tourist now can stay a full year. An initial 3months, then another 3 month extension AND a 6 month temporary permanent resident visa. check it out.

Thank you for the information, but I can only report to readers what comes directly from the Ecuador Consulate office and licensed attorneys. Living here I have seen “experts” be wrong many times on issues of immigration and health insurance in particular. This situation is evolving, and I hope to be able to report agreed upon official guidelines soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.