Taking a bus from Quito to Jama

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Taking a bus from Quito to Jama

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ROBERT CRENSHAW
    Participant

Any suggestions on taking a bus from Quito to Jama ? The information on line is VERY limited. I know it takes about 7 hours and that there are two bus stations. One in the North and one in the South. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Most buses to the coast leave from the South Quito terminal, so that’s where you’ll want to go. You’ll want to find a bus to Pedernales and you’re correct in that it will take around 7 hours. Once in Pedernales find a bus headed to Canoa or Bahia de Caraquez and then tell the driver or bus attendant that you want to get off in Jama which is along the way. They’ll let you know when it’s time to get off.

One thing to note is that the community of Jama sits a little off the main highway so you’ll probably want to arrange transportation from the bus drop to where you’re staying beforehand. If you take the 7 hour bus ride to Pedernales, plus the additional hour or so to Jama it could be getting late in the day and taxis may not be plentiful.

ROBERT CRENSHAW
    Participant

My experience on the bus. From Quito to Pedernales is five (5) hours. The return trip is six (6) hours. I guess going up hill takes more time and how many stops the bus makes. The ticket from Quito to Pedernales cost $7.50. From Pedernales to Quito cost $6.25, go figure. From Pedernales to Jama or the other way around costs from $1.00 to $3.00, depending whose collecting the money on the bus. As far as I know all buses from Pedernales stop in Jama. My suggestion to anybody traveling at night who is not familiar with the area your traveling to, don’t. I was trying find where I was staying coming back from Bahia in a bus after 7PM. Could not find it and ended up spending the night in the Pedernales bus station. Also right now from Bahia heading north, you take a bus from Bahia to San Vincente and then take a bus north.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.