Tamarindo Inquiry Plus other questions

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Tamarindo Inquiry Plus other questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hi Jason

Hope you don’t mind but several things have come to mind:

1. I’m returning again to ask if there is someone else to ask about residency questions — the gentleman you recommended never answered and I asked some odd questions that I can’t seem to find in just random searches.

2. We are returning for a “scouting” visit the beginning of April. It has to be short due to owning a business back here. But I’m doing a lot of research here and need some first hand advise about areas. We will have a car and starting from San Jose. The package we bought has us stopping at Lake Arenal first. Not really on our radar but checking it out. Then we travel to north Pacific area -We are staying in Playa Flamingo area for several days and intend to travel north and then south along the coast. We really liked Playa de Coco and talked to some local expats in the fall. So we are revisiting there to check out rentals. We are listening to others and wanting to rent first.

But our interest has peaked for Tamarindo/Playa Grande and would like to know why you chose there. Obviously you have internet service so that’s a check mark in the pro column. But what else can you tell me about health facility, rental prices (range), can we get around without a car if we move without a vehicle, the expat community there (places to eat and talk to some). I have seen Dan Talbot’s real estate site – do you recommend him for rentals or another firm more for that?

3. What are your thoughts about the Puntarenas/Playo Naranjo/Nicoya Penisula area: Nicoya/Santa Cruz and Jaco

4. Also when visiting what do you recommend to do for paying for gas and food — charge or get some currency (where do you get this)?

5. And one more thing (sorry) I can not  find any info on delivery services. I have to order health supplements from Amazon and they come either by mail or UPS -what should I know about this?

Thank you so much and sorry for so many questions but may be helpful to others.

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

I’m happy to help.

1. For residency questions, you could also try the Association of Residents of Costa Rica (http://www.arcr.net). They’ll probably want you to become a member (I think dues are $100 per year) before they answer in too much detail. But they can help you find a lawyer for residency and other transition-related items once you start the process of moving.

2. We chose Tamarindo for a couple reasons. One, it was close to my son’s school – Country Day. Two, it’s a very walkable city with everything you need close by, including grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, etc. We rent cars or take taxis or the bus when we have to go anywhere out of town. There is a large and vibrant expat community in Tamarindo of all nationalities, but mostly American. A ton of great restaurants and beach bars. To meet local expats go to Nibbana at happy hour, Kahiki for breakfast, and El Pescador for happy hour as well.

I don’t know Dan Talbot. You could also try Blue Water Properties. They have an office in town. http://www.bwpcr.com

There are a few clinics and doctors in town but for anything more than a doctor visit you’ll have to go to Liberia, Santa Cruz, or Nicoya. Liberia – about an hour away – has two private facilities, branches of Clinica Biblica and CIMA Hospital. It also has the region’s big public hospital. There are public ambulances as well as private ambulance companies available in Tamarindo.

Playa Grande is much smaller and while the center of town is walkable, there isn’t much there. You would definitely need a car.

3. Playa Naranjo is a very small town, somewhat isolated. The big draw, and this goes for much of the Nicoya Peninsula, is the natural beauty and laidback lifestyle. Nicoya and Santa Cruz are regional centers, largish towns with lots of shopping, medical, government offices. Most expats don’t live there but visit when they need something. Most expats live on the coast. These towns are inland.

Jaco is a major tourist town with a large expat population as well. A bit too touristy for my taste but you can always live outside of town and just come in for shopping and the restaurants.

4. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted. So are dollars. No need to get much local currency (colones) although it helps to have it for smaller establishments that don’t take cards or dollars. You can withdraw colones from ATMs.

5. For mail and packages delivery you can use the Costa Rican post office (Correo) for home delivery or get a PO box. There are also private mail services, including UPS, FedEx, and DHL. Tamarindo actually has a UPS Store. One thing to keep in mind is you will probably have to pay extra fees to get your packages delivered to CR – customs duties.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.