The 6-month "window"

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum The 6-month "window"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Hello Experts,

I cannot remember what is a “typical” time to get one’s residency visa and cedula, but ours took over 6 months. I guess we got caught in that visa change-over you wrote about.

We had always been under the impression that one had 6 months from the date of getting residency to ship household goods. I don’t know if I read that info here or elsewhere, but I never questioned it since it made sense that one would have to be a legal resident to ship household goods duty-free. Now we hear that 6-month window began when we entered the country, over 6 months ago.

Our shipper nor our immigration attorney ever bothered to tell us this info and now the latter will not even advise us on the issue, nor recommend a colleague to help us.

Our shipper advised us to leave the country and come back to restart the clock, so to speak. We are having no luck finding out what is really required, or if his suggestion would fulfill the requirements. That is an expensive proposition as well, since he said it must be through an airport.

Do any of you know anything about this issue? Your recommended shipper, Sandra Baquero, reinforced what we originally thought; that the 6 months started with residency, not entry into the country. So now we are hearing different things from different experts.

Thoughts? Thank you very much!

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Two other major shippers say the opposite of Sandra, so I am not confident of any of their answers. Perhaps you can provide me with a customs lawyer recommendation, since my immigration lawyer won’t help? Thank you….

I have heard many expats say good things about Sebastian Cordero as an attorney, he is at scordero@rcpabogados.com . Also, another shipper that many have used is Paul Wilches at paulw@relocationservicesofecuador.net

-jim

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

Thank you, Jim. I will contact this attorney. Paul Wilches is who we are using for our shipper, and he is insisting the 6-month window started at entry to EC, not at gaining residency. Another shipper, C2C Moves, also says this. Paul says we can leave the country and come back to restart the clock.

Sandra Baquero says the clock starts at gaining residency. Hence our confusion. We just now got residency, after waiting 7 months. I’ve never heard of it taking that long for anyone else. A friend just got theirs in one month….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.