Things you brought that were easily/cheaply replaced

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Things you brought that were easily/cheaply replaced

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

What are some things you thought you absolutely positively had to bring with you and when you got to Ecuador found that you could easily have replaced them for cheper than what you spent to get them there?

(Spouses notwithstanding!)

ANGELA COOK
    Participant

I have the same question as Russell.  I understand that IL has a list readily available.  Where do we get that list, or can you post it here?

I am sorting and selling and packing and wondering specifically about plastic bins of all sizes, about sturdy folding tables to use for desks and other.  Also camping gear like Coleman stoves, warm sleeping bags and blow-up mats and tents and lanterns, all that kind of stuff.  I hear that sheets and towels and pillows are not good (terrible?) in the EC stores; and that electronics and appliances are outrageously expensive.  Can someone comment?

There’s an “Insider Tips” section at the bottom of the EI Forum you might find helpful. Sheets, towels, electronics and appliances are items you should consider bringing along for the reasons you mentioned. Everyone has his own idea about what is and is not important to them. If something truly IS important you, bring it. Why take chances?

I, on the other hand, brought nothing. I have found everything I need in Ecuador. I no longer camp so don’t need the camping gear and I do occasionally buy linens when I go back to the States. I also buy my electronics in the States — but we did buy one flat-screen TV in Ecuador. I brought in another 22″ panel in my luggage just recently.

Like edd said, if you are bringing your household good bring whatever you think you will want. And if you are not shipping stuff, then buy here. Be aware that bed sizes in Ecuador are not the same as bed sizes in the US. So your queen size sheets won’t always fit your bed here unsless you buy the ones with super seep pockets. Even then it is a 2-person struggle to get them on the bed. I understand there are places where you can buy fabric and have sheets made.

And that’s part of the fun of moving here. Figuring out how to solve problems and how to make do without those old familiar “brand names” we’ve tricked ourselves into feeling like we need.

My advice: bring your luggage (and the things you love) but leave your baggage (those things you don’t really “need” at home. 🙂

GRETCHEN SOLDAT
    Participant

My partner thinks he HAS to have his electronic piano, which looks just like a regular upright piano.  It seems cost-prohibitive to ship as does my elliptical machine. Can either of those be purchased in Ecuador? Other than that, I agree that there’s nothing that important to me to bring. Starting a new life, after all! (when that day comes)

You can for sure purchase an elliptical machine. We’ve got plenty of music stores that will have keyboard instruments, but I have no idea if exactly what you are describing is available.

Here’s a question: Can U.S. appliances/electronics work in Ecuador without transformers and/or rewiring? We lived in Italy for 17 years and quickly found that both the voltages and the cycles are different in Europe, thereby assuring that eventually anything brought from the U.S. would be rendered unusable.

No worries. We have the same voltage as the States so no converters are needed.

STAN SMITH
    Participant

Suzan, are there standard sizes for queen/king beds in Ecuador OR just lots of different sizes?

In the major stores there are standards, and I know the queen – -which is what I have (Ecuadorian queen) is just slightly larger than a US queen. Some of the sheets I have bought for it in the US fit and some do not.

Here is the website for the biggest mattress distributor in Ecuador: http://www.chaideychaide.com/

It’s in Spanish and metrics but not hard to figure out. Go to the Products page and scroll down to specifications…

ANDREA LYMAN
    Participant

Susan,
    Which brand of sheets have you found to fit your Ecuadorian queen size bed? This actually is something that IS important to me, so I’d be interested in trying to bring the right brand that seems to fit.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I like quality sheets with high thread counts. I bought a queen pair of Ralph Lauren sheets at a discount outlet and no way would they fit on my bed. (They fit on my sofa sleeper, though, so no harm.) I then bought a pair of deep-pocket Walmart sheets. They fit, but they ripped at the bottom, which doesn’t bother me… I use them anyhow. They may have ripped because I also have a very thick pillow top mattress pad on my bed (also purchased at Walmart — took up one giant duffle by itself.)

The sheets I bought here in Ecuador fit just fine — not exceptional quality but good enough.

FRANK AGIATO

Susan, by the answer you gave about the quality sheets you bought I’m not quite sure what the difference is in the Ecuadorian mattress. Is the queen larger in width or depth?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Frank, I am not sure but I think it is a bit wider. Go to this website and check out the measurements: http://www.chaideychaide.com/ — you can find sheets to fit these mattresses here in Ecuador.

DIANE OUTERBRIDGE
    Participant

Regarding pianos…I was also looking for this in Quito. Found a “spinet-type” for $3,000. Electronic keyboards were $8000 and up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.