This is Different

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum This is Different

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello

My name is Wende and I would love to be able to live there for about 5-6 months a year. I would preferr the southern pacific coast Quepos(?)

I am not on a pension.I am 58 and do not qualify yet. My husband works and his salary is over 100,000.00 per year so 1,000.00 a month is not a problem.Is this possible at all?

This is the BIG difference…..

my daughter was maried to a Costa Rican here in Canada( and still is legally ). They have a 4 year old son together(his name is on the birth cetificated))that he has not seen in almost 4 years. We found out after the marriage that he was not legal here and that all his papers had been purchased.His family live in San Jose I am not sure where.He has since moved back bringing wih him a girl from Canada. Now he has a wifewith a son in Costa  Rica and another in Canada he said that he was divorced but with everything else I dought that.

Do my daughter and grandson hav the ability to come there to live? (she  is a Personal Support Worker) Can I come there with out a pension but able to afford the 1000.00 per month?

Wende

Hi Wende,

Let me tackle your residency situation first. To qualify for the pensionado, or retiree, residency you need $1,000 a month from Social Security (or the Canadian equivalent) or pension only.

The other types of temporary residency include rentista, which requires $2,500 a month in income or a $60,000 deposit in a Costa Rican bank every two years. The income cannot be from a job but from investments or something else that is guaranteed. There is also inversionista, or investor, residency, which requires an investment of $250,000 in a business or commercial or residential property.

About your daughter, that is a bit more tricky. Permanent residency is available to those who are related to or married to a Costa Rican. If your grandson has Costa Rican citizenship that might give her an opportunity. From the situation you describe she probably wouldn’t be able to gain permanent residency due to marriage because the marriage has to be in good standing, so to speak.

Of course, this is quite a complicated case and I’d refer you to a Costa Rican attorney for answers. Try this firm – they’ve helped a lot of expats:

Petersen and Philps: http://www.plawcr.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.