Toilet Paper

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Toilet Paper

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    THOMAS BEARD
    Participant

Hello Suzan:

Kudos on your very informatiive blog.

Is it true that toilet paper cannot be flushed in Ecuador? I am told there is a separate “bin” for toilet paper in most restrooms. This strikes me as very bad hygiene. It occurs to me, to perhaps use a bidet. What is your experience with this situation? What have people done to find a clean and happy alternative to “the bin”.

Sorry for the graphic nature of the question, but life is sometimes that way:)

Suzan’s on vacation, but yes, flushing toilet paper is highly discouraged in Ecuador. We felt the same as you when we first moved here, but “the bin” is just one of many things you get used to in the spirit of being a good citizen. If it helps to know, many of the brands of toilet paper are lightly perfumed.

I’m baaackkk. In most homes and apartments, upscale restaurants and hotels. you can flush the TP. But in many older buildings, the pipes just aren’t up to the task. As Edd says, you get used to it. In my apartment, built about three years ago, we have no problems with flushing. 🙂

So is the problem with the house’s plumbing system, or the municipal sanitary sewer system that disallows flushing the TP in a building/house?  The processing plant can handle it OK?

I am not exactly certain — this is not a topic I’ve ever deigned to do much research about… I’ve always thought it was pipes in older properties, because in upscale hotels and restaurants, this does not exist.

But I asked my waste-removal consultant (my husband) and he says the problem is at the local (entry-level) site, for two reasons:

1)

Older houses have clay drainpipes and TP sticks to them as if they were velcro, hence blocking the pipe.

and 2)

If it is modern construction and they use PVC, they often uses a small-diameter pipe to save money. And these can easily block up.

Suzan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.