Toilet Tissue

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Toilet Tissue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi, my name is Pam. I know this question is going to seem strange, (my apologies in advance) but I have read somewhere that people in Ecuador do not flush toilet tissue. Is this true? If so how is this handled? Excuse the pun. Thank you.

Hi Pam – this is one of hose vitally important pieces of information that is for some reason missing from travel guides. It is true that in some areas, you will be expected to dispose of used tp in small plastic-lined trash cans in the stall. Usually there will be a sign asking you not to throw paper into the toilet if that is the case. In most of the larger cities, hotels, airports, malls, etc., the septic systems can handle it, and it is not a problem. In fact, the Quito airport has signs specifically requesting that you DO throw paper in the toilet.

Here’s another important tip – in many public bathrooms, there is no tp dispenser in the stalls. Instead, there are large dispensers just as you come in the door. You are expected to grab some on your way in. This can be an awkward discovery at the wrong time! Also, some public restrooms will have an attendant who is responsible for keeping everything clean. They may charge 10-25 cents as you enter, and hand you some paper.

My wife of course insists on always traveling with a baggie of tissues in her purse, just in case.

Thanks for raising an important and often overlooked detail, and I hope you come and enjoy Ecuador soon.

-jim

Hi Jim,
    I truly appreciate you being so informative and gracious to my question. I hope you will not mind if I ask you some more questions. And I truly thank you.

In the areas of Cuenca and Vilcabamba can one dispose of toilet tissue in the toilet of their apartment?

Can you please provide me step by step how to get a permanent visa once one has decided on the areas of Ecuador to live?

How long does this process take? Where do you have to go to get the permanent visa? Should one hire an attorney there to assist with this process?

In the area of Cuenca is there allot of air and water pollution?

Do the farmers spray their fruit and vegetables with pesticides?

Are the cattle and pigs given growth hormones? Is the food they eat sprayed with pesticides?

Is one able to get fresh fish, lobster, crab, shrimp from the ocean?

I like to research on my computer. Can one get un-limited internet access? If so how much is this?

For security purposes would you suggest living in a gated apt. area?

Does Cuenca have Farmers Markets where you can buy fruits and vegetables?

I am sorry for having so many questions. And I thank you for educating me on that which I do not know.
    Pam

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Pamela, I’ll answer for Jim. If you buy in a very old building, you may encounter the issue of being asked to dispose of toilet paper in a bin instead of a toilet. But I’d guess you won’t have that problem in just about any place you’d rent in Cuenca…again, unless you’re looking at a very old property. Even some of those have been rehabbed and you should not have that issue.

Please navigate around your Ecuador Insider website for the info you need about getting a visa. But yes, most people choose to hire either an attorney or visa facilitator to help with the process.

As for your other questions: Cuenca is a large city. As in any large cities, the closer you are to downtown or commercial areas, the more exposure to vehicle fumes you will have. If this is an issue, you should look to more “suburban” or residential neighborhoods.

Some farmer use pesticides and some don’t. You can buy organic produce in Ecuador but there are no real governing policies so you’ll need to take people at their word. Once you live here a while you’ll know who the trustworthy vendors are.

Yes, you can buy seafood straight from the fishermen if you like.

Yes, you can get unlimited internet access, typically from $30 to $70 a mont depending on your speed/bandwidth requirements.

Until you get a feel for living in Ecuador and especially if you are a single woman I would recommend living in a place with good security. That may or may not be a gated community. There are many small and large apartment buildings with very good security, for instance.

Cuenca has several farmer’s markets, typically called mercados in Ecuador.

Hi Suzan, I truly thank you for responding to all of my questions. I very much appreciate your time and work to do so.
    Can you please tell me the average temperatures in Vilcabamba? How safe is this area to live in? Thank you!
    Pam

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Vilcabamba is lower in elevation than most other popular expat communities in the Sierras (at about 5,000 ft. depending where in the valley you are) and you’ll find temperatures averaging 65 to 82 degrees F (18 to 28 degrees C) year round.

I don’t live in Vilcabamba so I can’t give you any personal reference on safety issues there. It certainly depends on how and where you choose to live. In Ecuador, taking personal responsibility is key. I always recommend you follow the lead of the locals. If they have bars on their windows or a security system, so should you.

I have heard there have been some break-ins in Vilcabamba, but I don’t know that it’s anything more than you would find anywhere else in the world. It’s a small, peaceful village, and from a personal perspective, I have never had any concerns when I have visited.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.