Travel Advisory

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Travel Advisory

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Please be aware that local travel agencies do not operate as we are used to in North America. I used the services of Nuevo Mundo Expeditions to book a return flight for me, from Quito, to Manta. It was to be outbound on Jan. 22, 2014 and return on Mar. 26, 2014. Sadly, it was booked with a return date of Jan. 26, 2014. I was given a Spanish language printout of my itinerary. My request for an English version was denied. A friend realized the error recently, and I emailed NME and asked them to re-book the return ticket. They refuse to do anything, and deny any shortcomings in this matter. In Canada; I would have received an apology, and the error would have been promptly rectified. A token charge might have been requested, but it is often done for free, as a gesture of “Goodwill”.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Edward, I’ll forward this on the Oswaldo, the owner. I’m sure he’ll help you out — they’re very good people and I’ll be this is a misunderstanding of some sort.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

By the way, Edward, one of the great things about Ecuador is that it costs very little to change a flight — $15.

Well it’s been almost 3 days, and I’ve heard nothing from NME. If it only costs $15 to change a flight; it seems that any business would be foolish to ignore a customer complaint, such as mine, for such a pidly amount. It would appear that NME are not operating like a North American company, at all.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Edward, please don’t expect anything in Ecuador to be like it is in the US — that’s just not a good thing to do. Pop into whatever the airline office you’re booked on and ask them to change the ticket for you. Depending on the price you may come out ahead.

That’s because they’re not in the US, Edward–they’re in Ecuador. Suzan is totally right–please be thankful for all the positive cultural differences and learn to live with the shortcomings.

Well Susan, you were right. No surprise there. Tame only charged me $16.80 including taxes, to change my return flight. That was a great relief as this flight connects with my home bound flight to Toronto. Sadly my 3 months are almost done.

I was more concerned about the hassle factor to correct the error than the cost. I had to travel to the airport, at additional cost, in order to find an agent able to help a gringo with limited Spanish language abilities.

I would have gladly paid $20 to $50 to have it all arranged & emailed to me. Neuvo Mundo Expeditions was adamant they they would do nada. For a meagre $17; they have lost my future travel business. This is an incredibly stupid response, in my opinion.

I will be back to your besutiful country next winter. I will book my Galagos adventure through another agency.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.