Travel Questions

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Travel Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I am considering exploring Ecuador via bus during Jan., Feb, & Mar., 2014. My planned route is Quito, Ibarra, Quito, Altacamas, Salinas, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Quito. Maybe via the train from Cuenca to Quito. I have a host of questions.
    1. Is there daily bus service? Are bus routes, schedules & costs available on-line?
    2. Will it stop at the smaller towns, like Altacames, Sua, San Jacinto etc., en-route to Salinas?
    3. What other coastal towns (or elsewhere) do you think should not to be missed?
    4. Will I be able to find “bed & breakfasts” or small hotels as a walk-in customer, without pre-booking? Not hostels.
    5. Will I be able to access ATM’s in these smaller towns? Do I need cash only, or are credit cards easily accepted?
    6. Are the walkways suitable for dragging a medium sized wheeled suitcase to the hotel from the bus stops?
    7. Is it safe to stow my locked suitcase (with laptop) in the luggage compartment of the various buses?
    8. Is it safe to leave a laptop in a locked suitcase in the B & B, while I’m at the beach, or exploring the area?
    9. Is it wise to carry a photocopy of my passport with me, & leave the original in my locked suitcase in my hotel room?
    10. Are hotel (B&B’s) availability during “Carnival” only a problem in the smaller coastal towns, or elsewhere, too?
    11. Where are “Carnival” dates & locations listed?
    12. Where is the 90 day travel visa obtained?
    13. Would it be a visa problem to do a week’s side-trip to Machu Picchu and return to Cuenca?
    14. Are there flights from Cuenca to Cusco, Peru?
    15. Would this travel plan be realistic for a person like myself with limited Spanish speaking ability? I will have finished Pimsleur’s Level 1, 30 CD course before departure.

Answers to the best of my ability:
    1. yes. see this: http://www.ecuadorschedules.com/ and http://andestransit.com/ — but unless you are traveling on holidays you just show up and buy a ticket, they typically leave every 20 minutes or so to major destination.
    2.There are direct buses and there are buses that stop along the way…
    3. Bahia de Caraquez and Canoa (if you like small towns); Manta and Crucita (if you like small towns), Montanita and Olon…
    4. Unless you are traveling on an Ecuador holiday you should have no problem. I use TripAdvisor.com to find recommendations.
    5. ATMs should work fine… not all small towns will have them but all those you mention will. Only larger hotels and restaurants will take credit cards, so always good to have some cash on you.
    6. Sometimes. But pack light and do laundry along the way and you won’t need to worry about it. (And when traveling on buses never leave anything of value out of your sight. If you have a computer and camera, for instance, keep them in a backpack on your lap at all time — never overhead and never under your seat.
    7.I wouldn’t leave my computer in it..
    8.yes, it should be — but do stay at well-recommended hostels and ask them if it’s safe.
    9. yes
    10.finding a hotel vacancy anywhere along the coast will be a problem during Carnaval. (I would not want to visit the coast then as I don’t like crowds.)
    11. Google it – -ends on Fat Tuesday/Ash Wednesday
    12. On the plane.
    13.no
    14.no
    15. Of course, people travel all the time without knowing the language. It will be a challenge, for sure, but your ability to cope totally depends on you. Ask the people at your hotel for help with buses, etc. when you are ready to go from place to place. If they go to the station with you to get you on the right bus, give them a nice tip — it’s worth it.

Send more questions my way.

Thanks Susan. You are most helpful.

Hi Susan,

I forgot I had this wonderful website to check in on. We are planning a 2 week visit mid July. We need recommendations for inexpensive but clean/comfortable (but not fancy) lodging. What do you think of Hostal El Monastereo on Hermano Miquuel and also Morenica Del Rosario on Gran Columbia….if you know of these places? Are they close to things we would wish to see?

What can you suggest about airfare from the Milwaukee, WI area? Would Chicago be better? Airline preferences? Thanks!

Jo Anna
    Green Bay

Hola, Jo Anna. Since I’m the Cuenca guy I should probably answer your inquiry. I’ve probably walked past both of the places you mentioned dozens of times (although a quick search indicates El Monastero is on Padre Aguirre, not Hermano Miguel). Both are indeed in fine locations for exploring the city.

I checked Kayak and it looks like no matter what you’re in for a long day of travel. We always fly into New York because of family nearby and get better rates and schedules than anyone we know flying anywhere else. Try connecting there instead of Chicago. Regarding airlines, if possible we fly with Latin American carriers. They are more lenient with baggage, have more legroom, and honestly treat their customers better.

More questions to you.
    1. Would $5 or $10, be a nice tip for a hotel staffer, who goes to the bus station with me to get me on the right bus?
    2. Is it necessary to get off the various travel buses to monitor that my stowed suitcase is not stolen at each stop?
    3. As $20’s are hard to cash in small towns; do most ATM’s give smaller denominational bills? Like $5’s or $10’s.
    4. Will I get Wi-Fi in small towns? Free or otherwise?
    5. Will I attract thieves by using a tablet on buses, or other public places?
    6. Are there any active volcanoes that can be visited (just for photos)?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

1. yes — $5 if it’s no big deal and $10 if it takes a good bit of their time. I’d probably give $10 as it will certainly take at least 30 minutes. If they send a taxi driver to help you, though, give him $5 if he goes to the window with you and helps you buy your ticket.
    2. Probably not as long as you have a good view from the window.
    3. Most ATMs dispense $10s and $20s… you won’t have that difficult of a time cashing a $20, but don’t use one to buy a bottle of water or a stick of gum….
    4. You should get wifi just about everywhere, but what small towns will you visit? If it’s a town of 200 people, maybe not — but not sure why you’d be there? Most hostals that I’ve ever stayed at offer free wifi. Only the big chains make you pay for it.
    5. Yes — on an uncrowded bus wouldn’t be as bad as in the bus station or sitting in a big city park. I wouldn’t do that.
    6. Tungurahua in Banos.

Thanks again Susan. I love this forum.
    And yet another query for you. On the forum I read somewhere that lawyers & realtors in Ecuador are not very timely in responding to emails.
    I’m hoping that does not include requests to hotels (B & B’s) for room reservations. I’m hoping that they would confirm a booking a day or two before my departure to their facility.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Edward, I’ve not had too much trouble with hostels returning my emails, except for some in coastal locations. They don’t seem to be as good about customer service as are the more touristed areas. You can always call them, though — or again, have your current innkeeper call ahead for you. They’ll be happy to do this, especially if you offer them use of your phone or offer to pay for the call.

I believe the electricity is the same as Canada & the USA; are the plugs, receptacles also the same?

Indeed they are.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Edward, some of the older places will only have 2-prong plugs, so I always carry a 3-2 adapter with me that you can buy in any hardware store (including here in Ecuador) for about 75 cents.

Thanks for your responses. I have been looking on the International Living Classifieds for possible rental properties. Can I assume that they are legit, and not scammers since you list them there. If not; how can I verify? What is the normal procedure to secure a rental? eg. prepaid deposit, or full payment at time of reservation. By cheque or paypal or other? Is a security deposit also required? What about key pick-up. As you can see; I’ve not done this before.

DIANE OUTERBRIDGE
    Participant

Jo Anna
    y husband and I fly from Nova Scotia (thru Toronto) to Miami. We spend the night in Miami and take Copa Air (thru Panama) to Quito. We arrive in Quito at 5:30 pm and each leg of our trip is not longer than 2-1/2 hrs. Return is the same (much better than the North American airlines that can fly you for 24-25 hrs before you’re there.

Jo Anna We fly from Nova Scotia to Quito thru Toronto and Miami. We spend the night in Miami and the next morning fly thru Panama to Quito (arrival 5:30 p.m.) Each leg of the trip is less than 3 hrs and we arrive rested. Return is the same routes. Copa Air is GREAT! North American lines can take you 24-25 hrs to reach back home.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Edward, I don’t know if any classified ad can be considered legit or not… I’ve had very good luck renting (short-term) in Quito through VRBO.com. (They’ll have rules posted there about payment policies.) If you are going to spend a month or more in a place then an apartment rental is definitely the way to go. If it’s just for a few nights or a week, you might want to opt for a hostel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.