Travel Questions

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Travel Questions

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Thanks Suzan. I was hoping you would say that a listing on International Living Classifieds would have met legit standards and had been vetted before being allowed to post on your site. The renter is only asking for a small deposit and the balance upon arrival, which sounds legit. His profile shows up on his employers website; so I think it’s legit.
    I am not getting email notice when a response has been posted even though I have checked that box. Am I doing it wrongly?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Edward, I’ll bet he is legit. But I can’t guarantee anything, especially not for paid classified ads. I don’t know why the response function doesn’t work. I’ll ask the web guy… THANKS

I hope that it is legit, & I don’t get stranded in Crucita without a hotel in Feb. That’s scary.
    More questions.
    1. I believe the Hotel Andino is in the tourist area in Quito & is recommended as a good place to stay.
    2. Having limited Spanish language skills; will the ATM’s be understandable? Or is English also shown?

ANDREW DOUDS
    Participant

Edward

Wow what an great plan. I would suggest you work on your Spanish before such an extraordinary trip. I have used the Simon Bolivar Spanish School http://www.simon-bolivar.com/index.html on Mariscal Foch which is near the Mariscal. It has a range of classes and has internet classes as well. I noticed that the school had a part in the Fast Track Ecuador Conference and I tried classes in Quito and then followed up with some SKYPE classes. I am looking to move to Quito upon full retirement. Once I move I will take additional classes at Simon Bolivar, the teachers seemed to be very qualified and the prices were very reasonable.
    Also check Airbnb for rentals of rooms and apartments inaddition to VRBO. There are usually Internet Cafes in most places.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Edward, many of the ATMS also offer a choice for English, but should be fairly understandable in any case. (cuenta ahorra is savings account… can’t remember what they use for checking account — might be cuenta corriente.) But a few tries and you’ll get it. (Maybe pick up one of those cheap pocket translators if you are worried. You should be able to get one for $10 or $20.)

Andino is perfectly situated between Mariscal and La Floresta… about a 4-5 block walk down hill to Plaza Foch and a 3-block walk uphill to the Swissotel.

Where are you renting in Crucita? I have friends who live there and can inquire about the place if you like.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Edward, one more thing: be sure to call your bank before you leave and tell them you’ll be using your ATM card in Ecuador. Also, my capital one card doesn’t work at all the ATMs in Quito, for some reason. But I’ve had very good luck at the Banco Internacional and Banco Austro ATMs. And I have another bank card from another US bank that works every single time, no matter where. So my point is: if for some reason your card does not work, try another machine… or another card if you have one. (We changed to Capital One because they do not charge any foreign ATM transaction fees. My other card charges ridiculous fees so I only use it in emergencies.)

Thanks Andrew & Suzan. I have limited Spanish skills. I have finished the Pimsleur Level 1, 30 CD course, which is only a start. I might check out the Simon Bolivar school that you mentioned. Suzan, do you know if it’s close to the Andino Hotel? Is it safe to use ATM’s on the street, or is it wiser to go to a bank? I was hoping to use a translator on my iPad, but I am afraid to use it in public for fear of being ripped off. Are the pocket translators easily bought in Quito? I understand that the area of the Andino is a safe area. Are the streets there, generally safe until 9 or 10 pm? I found out that Capitol One will only open accounts for US citizens, otherwise I would have become a customer. I have a CIBC bank card, which I’m told will work on any ATM that displays Plus, Interlink or Interact symbols. If it fails; I will have to take cash advances on my VISA card & pay interest. Suzan, is the travel agency recommended by IL & run by Oswaldo, near the Andino? The gated community that I’m booking in Crucita is called Las Dunas. I found it on IL’s classified but the ad has expired now. I’m told that it is on the main street directly opposite the beach. Any info you could get would be greatly appreciated.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Yes, the Spanish school is close enough to walk from Andino (at least I would) but if you opt for a taxi it should be no more than $1 or $2. You can use the ATMs on the street safely, especially during daytime, but do be vigilant of your surroundings. I would buy a pocket translator before you come via Amazon or Best Buy, etc. But even without one, I think you will be fine. Oswaldo’s family owns the Hotel Sebastian in Mariscal, just a few blocks from the Andino. (I’ve forgotten exactly where his office is but I know it’s not far.) The Sebastian is also a nice hotel, probably in the $60 range. My friends in Crucita know Las Dunas… I’ll see if I can find out more.

Another question for you. Is the electrical supply in Ecuador stable or is it advisable to use a surge protector when charging my iPad? Do you, Susan & Edd, use one for your laptops etc.?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I do not use one. Doesn’t Apple have them built in to their products?

Thanks again Suzan. You are correct. I checked with Apple & they say that their adaptor has some surge protection built in, but could not be specific. It is designed for North American electrical systems which are supposed to be stable. Rough Guide advise the use of one. They claim that electrical supply fluctuations are common. Since you are a local user & have had no issues; I won’t worry about it.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.