Traveler's Checks in Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Traveler's Checks in Ecuador

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BRADLEY WILCOSH
    Participant

We will be leaving for Ecuador shortly and would like to know the best way to pay for hotels, food, tours, etc. Are traveler’s checks and credit cards readily accepted by hotels and tour companies? I am a little concerned about carrying large amounts of cash on my person and would prefer a safer method for paying bills while traveling. Any thoughts?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I would not advise traveler’s checks — those aren’t widely used anywhere in the world any more. You can pay at the more upscale hotels with credit cards and others with cash. You can go to any ATM machine for a withdrawal any time you need it. I personally don’t have a bank account in Ecuador and just do ATM withdrawals for all my bill paying. A few years ago I switched to a Capital One account which does not assess foreign ATM fees. Just call your bank/debit account and let them know you’ll be traveling in Ecuador. Use reasonable caution when using ATM machines — you should not have a problem.

Suzan / Your comment re no bank acct is interesting. I have been planning to open an acct in Ecuador during my recon trip. Also setting up Soc Sec payments to that bank. However, if checks on a Minnesota bank are accepted (given a time for clearing) I might not need to go through with any changes and just bank with plastic and auto withdrawls. Is this what you are implying is possible? Thanks, Mark

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Mark, that’s what I do — just use my ATM withdrawals to fund my life. I wouldn’t count on try to pay for anything with a US check, though…and I’ll say that I am not the norm. Most people prefer to have a local bank account. I just don’t feel the need and prefer my life to be as uncomplicated as possible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.