Traveling from CR into Panama on the carib side

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Traveling from CR into Panama on the carib side

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have any experience of insights into crossing CR into Panama and traveling down to Bocas Del Toro? I want to start in San Jose and depart from Panama City 2 weeks later. Im wondering about a bus from Limon to cross the border? or if any rental car places allow pick up in CR and drop off in Panama City?

Hi Gerald,

I’m about to make that trip from CR to Bocas del Toro myself in a few months. The border crossing is at Sixaloa. Most – if not all – rental car companies won’t let you take a car across the border. (At other border crossings you can sometimes switch cars through your rental company at the border – you’ll want to check with the individual company directly.) Since Bocas is an archipelago and accessible only by ferry you’d have to leave it somewhere on the mainland anyway.

You can take a bus to the border and then cross over on foot. From there you catch a water taxi to Bocas. There are also shuttle services that pick up in Puerto Viejo, on the Caribbean coast on the Costa Rica side. They’ll take you down to the border in a van and have a boat ready to pick you up on the other side.

Jason

I was thinking about a rental car to Limon and then bus to the border but it sounds like I could keep the car to Pueta Veijo? Also, should I have any concerns your aware of with traveling down to Panama City from Bocas to complete my journey and fly home from there?

Appreciate your input and enjoy your articles from CR. They helped a lot when I made my decision to go to the West side of CR and Arenal area last Winter !!! Saw everything you spoke of and more.

Thank-you,

Gerald (Jed) Vaughn

Hello Jason,
    Any thoughts on the issues above? Im wondering if Im better off this time to just arrive and depart from San Jose rather than travel down to PC. I have 2 weeks. Would love to meet you if our paths cross. Im going late Nov. to Dec 9th.

sincerely,
    Jed

Hi Gerald,

Sorry for the delay. Just got back home from the FastTrack Costa Rica conference in San Jose.

As far as your questions, Poas (in Hone Creek, north of Puerto Viejo on the coast road) and Adobe (in Limon) are the only rental car agencies on the Caribbean, as far as I know. If you rented from them in San Jose you could drop off there and head into Panama with a shuttle or bus. I’d check with them first.

As far as Bocas to Panama City, I’m not familiar with that route. But my colleague in Panama, Jessica Ramesch, should be able to help you out. Her email is: panama@internationalliving.com

Good luck!

Hello Jason,
    I don’t know if you can or will answer this question but I wanted to ask if there were any good dental clinics near the San Jose airport. I was considering some minor work on my trip if I can find and secure an appointment. Maybe you can shed some light on the topic for me?

Sincerely,
    Jed

JASON HOLLAND
    Participant

Hi Jed,

There are many good dental clinics in San Jose and its suburbs like Escazu especially – all within 30 minutes of the airport. I can’t recommend any clinic in particular. But you might try Googling “dentist escazu” or something similar and then calling the clinic and then checking their reputation online. Many clinics in this area cater to expats and medical tourists.

Thank-you Jason. I will give them a call.

jed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.