Traveling to Panama with a trailer with your possessions

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Traveling to Panama with a trailer with your possessions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Roderic Gottula
    Participant

I’m getting ready to move to Boquete this summer and have been trying to figure out what the best way would be to bring my possessions. I plan to get rid of the “big stuff” here in the U.S., but have lots of documents, memorabilia, that I would like to bring if possible. Recently I began to wonder about driving to Panama from the States with a trailer of my stuff attached.
    This brings several questions to mind? Is it safe to travel through all the countries from the U.S. to Panama? 2) Is it going to be a huge headache at border crossing personnel going to want to look through all the cardboard boxes in the trailer looking for contraband? 3) Is there some type of “guide” service with individuals who put together a caravan to make these trips that are familiar with all the rules, speak the language, etc.
    Thanks for any suggestions you can give.
    Rod Gottula
    rodgottula@gmail.com

I really can’t comment or recommend whether it is safe to drive to Panama from the US.

That being said several things come into play when moving things to Panama.

If you are coming into Panama without first having residency you will need to pay duty on all things you are importing. That duty amount will depend on the items category and may be hefty. In addition your vehicle if you don’t have residency will have an import duty placed on it that you must pay.

If you are moving to Panama and already have residency then you can bring in items duty free but still need to pay the ITBM tax (VAT) of 7%.

I know very few people who choose to drive to Panama with their belongings as the process is not as simple as just crossing the border into Panama. You will need a customs broker. I would suggest that for more information you contact an attorney such as Rainelda Mata Kelly who can give you all the details especially as things are constantly changing here with laws and regulations.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.