Treatment of women in Ecuador

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Treatment of women in Ecuador

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Good day.  I have been seriously considering moving to Ecuador for a year now.  So much so that I intend on  attending your Ecuador conference in Quito if you have it again in February 2014.  However, my lady friend is reluctant to relocate to Ecuador as she is concerned about what she has read in numerous tourist publications about the treatment of women in Ecuador; kidnapping of Americans in the northern regions; robbery; etc.  These concerns of hers are further amplified due to the fact that I will continue working in Canada 6 months a year, leaving her in Ecuador alone.  My question is whether it is safe / secure for my lady friend to live in Ecuador up to 6 months a year on her own?  Any information you could send would be most appreciated.  Thank you!

I am a woman and not any more concerned here than I would be anywhere else in the world. In fact, I feel safer here than I probably would in many other places. That said, if she will be here in Ecuador alone, be sure she is living in a place where she will feel safe — a building with a security code entry, etc. Has your friend done much traveling? If not, she needs to come and see for herself. As a whole, Latin America is very safe. I don’t want to sound like Ann Landers, but may be another issue at work here.

By the way, you don’t say how old your friend is, but I’ve noticed a trend of far more older (over 60) single women moving overseas than single men of the same age. Those single expat women here are very independent adventurous. They socialize a lot and see to be enjoying themselves immensely.

There are an amazing number of single women happily living alone here in Cuenca all 12 months of the year. I can’t imagine what tourist publications are filled with such scary stories, but I have noticed that several of the Internet forums (certainly not this one!) seem to be overly populated with unhappy people eager to share their misery.

Thank you Suzan & Ed for your observations.  I will forward your replies onto my lady friend.  She has not travelled too much, and age wise is in her early forties.  We obviously have much to learn, and look forward to the adventure. Again, thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.