Tungurahua voncano

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Tungurahua voncano

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    DONA DEES

Can you tell me which cities/villages are near the volcano and if there has been any effect on them from its recent activity? Thanks

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Donna, Tungurahua spouts now and then but it has been several years (maybe 10) that I know of since there has been a full-scale evacuation called for. Villages on the side of the mountain are affected first — these are very small farming communities. The largest towns/cities of any size that might be affected are Banos and Ambato. I’ve not heard that anything is going on there now that is cause for concern, have you?

The city of Ambato and the smaller town of BaƱos are the two most well-known areas near mount Tungurahua. The only real effect the volcano has had on them in many years is an occasional coating of ash, which the locals simply sweep off their steps and go about their business. Nobody that I know in that area is very concerned about the volcanic activity at this point.

DONA DEES

Hi Susan and Wendy. Thanks for your input. We were told there was a flare up in April. My brother in law sent me a link to a news story on the Internet. It said they were expecting more and greater activity. So I just wanted some better and more well informed information. We are still waiting to sell our house and then we will come see everything for ourself. Thanks again.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.