Using ATMs

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Using ATMs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MELANIE CLARK
    Participant

I know I’ve read on the Insider to bring cash, especially lots of $1’s and $5’s for taxi’s, etc. Since we will be there 3 weeks, I plan to bring cash for that and for the major driver costs (Guayaquil to Salinas, Salinas to Manta, Manta to Cuenca, airport in Quito to hotel which appears to be $45), tours with Pathfinder folks, and some restaurants. But, I can see that amount of cash getting very bulky (since I’ll be carrying everything (passports, cash, credit cards) in a pouch under my clothes. So was wondering how hard it is to get cash while there. I’m starting to get concerned about ATMs….everywhere in the world. Are there ATMs inside banks there (which wouldn’t seem to be as susceptible to people stealing numbers) or would it be OK to bring a cashiers check paybable to me, and cash it in a bank somewhere mid-trip?

Don’t bother bringing a big pile of $1’s & $5’s–just a few will be enough to cover initial expenditures. And forget about the cashier’s check idea. ATM’s here dispense $10’s and/or $20’s, we all use them, and you need not worry about safety issues. Let your bank know where you’ll be traveling before you leave so they don’t freeze your account when your debit card activity begins in EC.

MELANIE CLARK
    Participant

OK, thank you

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.