Using Military Retirement for Visa

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Using Military Retirement for Visa

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JOEL REGNERY

I will be using my military retirement as my income requirement for my Visa. I think I have to go to military pay on base, get a copy of my pay statement, get that notarized with my signature on it (or do I need a letter also?) then get THAT apostilled. Does this sound correct? It’s probably along the same lines as using Social Security to get a Visa. We will be moving to Ecuador in August so I plan on getting this done in April. Thanks for the help!

That sounds right to me, but I’ll ask Edd to verify.

Joel, that seems correct to me as well, but be mindful of your timing. The apostille is only valid for 6 months from the date it is applied to your doc. If you get it in April, don’t dally applying for residency when you arrive in August.

JOEL REGNERY

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!!

For anyone else doing this with a DOD retirement income, I just finished the process, and here’s how it worked out. The most current DFAS (Defense Finance Accounting Service) RAS (Retirement Account Statement) available on-line from a retiree’s myPay account is the exact same thing that DFAS can mail to you, so you’d just as well make a PDF of the RAS download, then get it notarized at your bank/credit union. Saves mailing time. The notarization should have the appropriate notary verbage on it. Then it must be sent or taken to your Secretary of State in your state of residence for an apostille. Finally, send it to the Consular Office of Ecuador (for certification) that covers your specific state. To find the appropriate consulate, consult <http://cancilleria.gob.ec&gt;. Strong recommendation #1: check out the various websites (e.g., Secretary of State) before each mailing and include THEIR form detailing what you need them to do, etc. Include also their checklist and a postal money order. Strong recommendation #2: mail everything via trackable means, including a return pre-paid trackable envelop. Point of interest: When I sent my notarized, apostilled package to the Ecuadorian Consulate in Los Angeles, they actually called me within hours of receipt, to verify info and returned the package with their certification that day! Conversely, it took me 2 1/2 months to get a background check apostilled at the U.S. Deoartment of State. Any gringo complaining about Ecuador’s residency process should take note!

Corrected link address is http://cancilleria.gob.ec scrub the “&gt”

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

GREAT help, thank you, Michael!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.