Very early flight out of Quito

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Very early flight out of Quito

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

My wife and I will be ending our first trip to Ecuador in San Clemente.  We have reservations to fly out of Quito back to the US  at 6:15 AM.  on Aug 31st.   We had planned to fly from Manta to Quito the night before.  Since the new airport in Quito is so hard to get to and from, we were wondering if we should just stay in the airport overnight instead of traveling back and forth to a hotel.  Is the airport even open overnight? and would this be a safe idea?  Or would you recommend we do something else.

Thank you,  Jerry Nadeau

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Jerry, it would certainly be safe, but probably not too comfortable. I am not sure if the airport is open overnight. I’ll see if I can find out. Meanwhile, here are the hotels close to the airport:

·      Hosteria San Jose: http://www.hosteriasanjose.com.

·      Hosteria Rincon de Puembo: http://www.rincondepuembo.com. This one looks as if it may be the closest to the airport.

·      We’ve also heard that a place called La Marmite may have some rooms. They have a well-known restaurant in Checa. You can e-mail them for information at: marmite@uio.satnet.net.
    There is another called  Quito Airport Suites that has been having some problems with their website (may be worked out now): http://airporthotelquito.com/

GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

Hi Suzan,

I was told about another Hotel near the new airport.   http://airporthotelquito.com/

Have you heard anything about it?  Good or Bad?

Thanks,  Jerry

From what I am hearing, this hotel is really bad. My husband is scheduled to stay there on the 19th and can’t be dissuaded, so I’ll know for sure after that…. If I were you, I would fly back from Manta early enough to make your stay at one of the other places on my list above worthwhile. I’m looking forward to checking those out….

Hey Jerry, I just remembered another email I received recently from another IL reader about another hotel in the area. It’s called the Mountain Views Inn — and I’ll try to find some contact info.

Here is the email I got:
    I had a recent experience when I flew to Quito from Miami.  I got in late on Friday night and had made arrangements to be picked up at the airport and be transported to a B&B in the area.  My ride never showed after waiting for about an hour so I decided to see if the taxi counter had any ideas about where to stay in the area.
    A very nice lady (Veronica) showed me a couple of brochures that had been left at her counter and one of them had prices listed.  My phone wasn’t working yet in Ecuador so she offered to call the hosteria for me.  He had space available so I caught a taxi ($15) to the hosteria.
    The name of the hosteria is MVI Hosteria which stands for Mountain Views Inn.  It is located in Tumbaco in the valley just below Quito.  The owners name is George (long last name) and he treated me like royalty.  He was an architect in New York for twenty six years and speaks perfect English.  We talked for hours and the rooms were delightful and roomy and for $30 I found it to be a great bargain.
    MVI is located on 2 1/2 acres and has two large houses on it along with a pool, jacuzzi, game room, party room and plenty of guest rooms.  He can sleep at least twenty people in the available rooms.  The main house has a lovely living room with a melt-into L-shaped couch for watching TV and some sit-up-straight chairs surrounding a fireplace for conversations and games. He also supplies all meals (if you want) for around $5 each.
    I was staying for three days so on the second night, he drove me up the hill into Old Quito to the Ronde area which is a long circular street with shops and restaurants.  We found a great little restaurant and had some local fair and brews.  The trip there was a wild ride because we went up this hill called Ex Calibur that would put Lombardi Street in San Francisco to shame.
    On my last day, I packed up his Jeep with my luggage and we headed to Papallata which is about an hour and a half ride up into the mountains northwest of Quito.  Papallata is know for their hot springs and I was not disappointed.  It was like coming to a five star resorts hot springs.  We spent about four hours moving from hot pool to hotter pool.  We met many wonderful people travelling from all over the world.
    After leaving the springs, we had lunch and he delivered me safely to the airport for my flight to Cuenca.  What a wonderful experience—five stars in my book!!

GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

Suzan,

I have tried to find contact info on the Mountain Views Inn but haven’t found any.

I’ll wait to hear back from you to see if you had any luck.   Also to see how your husband did at the Quito Airport Hotel

Thanks,  Jerry

Hi Jerry, here is the contact info: MVI Hosteria; Mountain Views Inn; No.9 Aurelio Davila Cajas; Tumbaco, Ecuador.  Cell is: 099-502-3336.  Local Ecuador phone # is: 02-204-6163 or 02-204-6154.  E-mail is: mviecuador@gmail.com.

I see their website is not working and that causes me to wonder. So, don’t know if you want to be our guinea pig or if you want Dan and I to try it first… either way, I love finding out about new places. Even a bad place makes a good story!

Dan is staying at the Quito Airport Suites this coming Sunday, so I will let you know what he thinks after his stay.

GERALD NADEAU
    Participant

Suzan,
    How did Dan make out at that hotel?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Hi Jerry, Dan says it is small and probably priced a bit high for the value it offers. But it is very close to the airport. So I guess it depends on what you are looking for… I personally would rather stay in a hotel than stay up all night at the airport, but I have no idea what your tolerance for lack of sleep is. I’ll ask Dan to get on here in the coming days and write a more comprehensive review. I am looking forward to trying Hosteria San Jose and Rincon del Puemboa one of these days, but like I said, I’ll go in the afternoon so I have time to enjoy the grounds and have dinner.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.