Veterinarians

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Veterinarians

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

As I intend to bring my cat to Caye Caulker, it would be very helpful if someone could refer a veterinarian who can guide me through the importation process. I am already aware of most of the requirements, having read the excellent article in the insider. However, I couldn’t see any recommendations in the Rolodex.

Pierre,

You can call the BAHA office in Belize directly for advice. I have several friends who have done so within the last year. They said that the people at BAHA are very helpful in terms of giving you guidance related to bringing your pet into Belize. There are veterinarians there, on staff.

There is a section in the Escape to Belize Manual about how to move your pets. It’s included in the Moving to Belize section. The manual is included in your Belize Insider subscription. In the manual itself, it is in Chapter 7. Here is a link for BAHA in Belize, with the requirements:http://www.baha.org.bz/index.php/dept/animal-health

DAVID L.
    Participant

Pierre, we just brought our dog (Dolly, 70 lb. Yellow Lab) into the country through Belize City Airport. BAHA was the easiest part of the entire process. They were extremely helpful with both information and very accommodating when we arrived at the airport. Pay special attention to timing of the Good Health Certificate from the Vet. Also, pay attention to the timing of shots. Several must be administered 1 month before departure. Our Vet got online and looked at the requirements to provide a professional interpretation of the rules. Finally, be very sensitive to the airline requirements. We were shipping Dolly with us, on the same airplane as we were on, as checked baggage (never say air cargo because the price will go up 10-fold and duty will be charged on the pet. No duty on a pet as checked baggage or carry-on.) for checked baggage, we had to make sure that the temperature was not expected to exceed 85 degrees at origination, intermediate stops or the destination. If they were forecasted to exceed 85, the airlines will not accept the pet and your SOL including your ticket if it is non-refundable. We were at the departing airport 4 hours early. There is a ton of paperwork that the airlines must go through to make sure all documents are in order (just a word to the wise). TSA required the removal of our pet from the crate, dog and crate inspected, Dolly back into the create and then we had to zip tie (we had to supply the zip ties) her create shut. We told the flight crew that our pet was travelling as checked baggage. They double checked to make sure Dolly was on board. They were surprised the Dolly didn’t IM us when she was boarded (airline humor, I guess). We made the 8-hour travel with no problems. Dolly thinks Belize is a lot warmer than she is used too but she loves the water. Traveling with a cat should be easier especially if it is in carry-on luggage. Just watch timing of shots/certificate and the give yourself plenty of airline check-in time.

PIERRE BERNIER
    Participant

Thank you Ann and David for your advice!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.