Visa extension

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum Visa extension

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My wife and I are planning a trip to CR in November 2013. We want to stay 6 months and 6 months in the states. What’s the procedure for extending our visas past the 90 days? Can we go to Panama for a week and return for another 90 days?

Hi Stephen,

In your situation, leaving Costa Rica for week-long trip to Panama and then coming back to CR is just fine.

When returning to CR make sure to have a copy of your ticket out of the country to show the border officials. It’s a requirement. If you don’t have that to show them they might not let you in.

Jason

Jason, thanks for the info. One more follow up. On my initial entry how would I date my airline ticket? If I get a round trip ticket, my return date would have to be within my 90 day visa. Can you get an open return date on airline tickets? Not sure how that works. Thanks

Correct, your airline ticket will have to show a return date within 90 days when you first enter Costa Rica. What many people do if they plan to stay longer is change the date when they leave – as you are to Panama – and re-enter. You do, of course, have to pay change fees to the airline -and make sure your airline allows you to make changes to your ticket. The other option is to buy a refundable ticket. With those you can usually change the date without penalty. I wouldn’t risk buying an open return date ticket- the Costa Rican officials like to see a specific return date.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.