visa in new passport

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum visa in new passport

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ANDREA LYMAN
    Participant

When one has to get a new passport (renewal), how does the residency visa transfer into the new one?

Another question…..has anyone had any experience with having a local payment directly deposited to a US bank – or can that be done? In other words, if you are owed money by a company in Ecuador, can you have it direct deposited to a US bank (or any other foreign bank, for that matter) or would it have to be wired?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

HI Andrea, I am afraid I don’t know how the visa transfer works. But if your passport will expire soon, say in the next two years, I’d go ahead and get a new one now.

I don’t think there are any branches of US banks in Ecuador so yes, the money would have to be wired. (and you’ll pay the 5% departure fee). The only way around this I can think of is if the Ecuador company has and uses a US bank, and it’s doubtful that would be the case.

Andrea, a friend of mine had the exact issue regarding the transfer of her visa into a new passport and I know it was a hassle involving more than one trip to Guayaquil. Suzan’s advice is right on–get your passport renewed before moving to EC.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I just asked someone who has gone through getting the visa transferred from an old to new passport. As Edd says, it is a hassle, and you’d probably want to hire an attorney or visa facilitator to help you. You’ll need to provide notarized copies of your passport, cedula, “migratorio” from the police, a letter requesting the transfer, copies of your real estate deed or a letter from the bank stating that your CD is still valid and still with the central bank (depending on which visa you have), 2 photos, and if you’re hiring an attorney or facilitator you’ll need to give them power of atty. and pay for their services as well as the $60 transfer fee.

And all this could change tomorrow…. renew your passport before you leave home. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.