Visa Requirement Changes

Homepage Forums Belize Insider Forum Visa Requirement Changes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Pamela Bruner
    Participant

I’m hearing there have been changes in the requirements for extending Visas past 30 days and that people are getting turned away. What are the new requirements?

Hi Pamela, thanks for reaching out! Belize being a young country, one challenge can be consistency. With the importance of the 30 day stamps, this is a topic readily discussed in the Facebook Groups. There was recently some chatter in Belize Expats (if you are not already a member, this is the best group, it has a deep well of knowledge from a range of expats, and they quickly correct anything posted that is NOT correct!) about expats being allowed a 60 or 90 day stamp. It is generally thought that several years ago, there was a “crackdown” on ANY extensions or other special privileges after some government workers were found to have been giving some foreigners their residency without these individuals following exact protocal. The agencies got more strict for a long time – and this giving of “extended” (over 30 day stamps) is a new practice. It is not something that you can ever count on and it is not regular protocal. If individuals were allowed these longer stamps, they may have had a connection or some other way of getting this granted, but it would not be considered something that would be the norm. The vast majority of expats only get the 30 days stamp and are never offered any other option, and are probably going to be told a firm no if they ask. I have not heard any change in the regular 30 day stamp, I am sure if you were accustomed to getting 60 or 90 days and then told you can only have 30, this would be a big letdown! As long as you provide your reason for being in the country, such as you are working on residency etc, it is very rare to have a big problem. The agents do want to make sure that you are not working while you are on a tourist stamp and that can be one of the only reasons they will ask more personal questions about working or finances. Hope that helps and I will keep my ear out for any changes!
    Laura

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.