Want to work in Panama

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Want to work in Panama

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

My husband and I are thinking of retiring to Panama and want to still work at least part time. I am an Optometrist and he is a RN What is the best way to see what the job market would be for us?

Dear Billie,

Getting a work visa in Panama requires, among other things, a criminal background check, a “good health” certificate, which you can get here fairly quickly and easily, and a job offer with contract. Generally, you would contact local companies, get a job offer, and pay a local attorney to help you with the visa (unless the company does all the paperwork).

Panamanian companies, in general, must have a 90% Panamanian work force, so that limits to a certain extent the amount of jobs available for foreigners (at least officially). If you have a special skill set, it might be easier for you to work here legally or get a special dispensation.

You can contact local headhunting agencies and networking agencies such as Amcham to start. You’ll find this and more contact information in the rolodex section of this website (link below for your convenience).

Some expats work in the informal economy, for example, as teachers or tutors or freelancers, without obtaining the required work visa. This works for some but is not a situation everyone wants to be in. (It seems now is a good time to apply, though, all the schools seem to be hiring and expanding to meet the unbelievable demand for private bilingual education.

Alternatively, you may want to consider starting your own business. The cost of setting up a corporation can be very low (sometimes under $2000) and there are many niches to be filled. A local attorney can help you with this further.

Other ways to spend an extended amount of time in Panama include volunteering and taking immersion Spanish lessons. There are numerous websites that list opportunities.

Note that for the time-being medical staff working in Panama must be Panamanian. Other jobs that require Panamanian nationality include retail, real estate broker, and lawyer.

Foreign medical professionals can find other ways to apply their expertise and work in Panama (other than practicing medicine). Some join volunteer/charity missions to Panama, like operation smile ( http://www.operationsmile.org). One surgeon I know moved here from the US and, as he could not operate here, he began administrating an Age Management program. Importing equipment…employing other doctors…the sky is likely the limit.

if you have an idea I would recommend consulting with a Panamanian attorney. If you don’t already have one try the Mata Kelley firm (see the rolodex section of this website http://internationalliving.com/COUNTRY_CLUBS/PANAMA/ROLODEX/ )

Also, you may find it interesting to know that RNs make very little money in Panama compared to North America (salaries can be as low as $500 a month, in keeping with the low cost of living here).

Hope this helps.

Best,

Jessica

TONY SHORT

JESSICA,

In reading your above response to Billie’s inquiry you mentioned and there are many niches to be filled in Panama if starting your own business. Could you please list some of these business niches that need to be filled in Panama. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Tony

TONY SHORT

Hi Jessica,

I was reading your above response to Billie and you mentioned the possibility of starting your business as there are many niches to be filled. Could you please mention some of the niches that are required to be filled in Panama. Also, I currently flip homes in Canada so is that a business I could start in Pamana purchasing older homes and renovating them for resale. I would employ panamanian skilled carpenters, plumbers and electricians, etc.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks,
    Tony

Hi Tony,

The niches to be filled really do depend on which area (city or even neighborhood) of Panama you’re interested in. There are towns that don’t have dry cleaners (Coronado, I believe)…or that could use more bagel shops…or that have some need I have yet to hear about. I often gripe that in Panama City there’s no great cafe-type venue for writers like myself to work in when cabin fever kicks in. There is a cafe called New York Bagel that attracts the expat-entrepreneur crowd, but following a remodel its vibe is more high school cafeteria than white-collar hangout.

It’s important to zero in on an area first, and then set about finding out what niches have yet to be adequately filled. Panama City is more developed, so it can be slightly more challenging, whereas other parts of the country are less developed…so lots of niches to be filled (but then you have to determine whether or not there is a demand, as well). International Living often covers these topics in the free Fund Your Life e-letter, hopefully you are subscribed to that as well. If not, you can find the sign-up at the International Living website, http://www.internationalliving.com. If you’re interested in networking in the Panama business community, please also check out the many contacts we have listed for you in the Rolodex section of this website, such as the American Chamber of Commerce in Panama. These organizations can be helpful in doing your preliminary/basic research.

As for flipping homes as a business, most experts would probably say that Panama’s real estate market is not a prime market for flipping. Of course, your success could depend on the type of property and area of the country. There are people who buy and sell here…you’d probably need good Spanish to find the best deals to buy low, make improvements, and sell for profit. I’d recommend sending your question to Pathfinder Real Estate to get the real estate expert’s take (if possible indicate which area of Panama you’re interested in):

Pathfinder International Real Estate
    Tura Murdock
    tmurdock@pathfinderinternational.net
    info@pathfinderinternational.net

Best,

Jessica

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.