What are our rights to import goods from Paso Canoas (Panama border)?

Homepage Forums Costa Rica Insider Forum What are our rights to import goods from Paso Canoas (Panama border)?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MICHEAL LEVINE
    Participant

Can someone explain how shopping at Paso Canoas works?

I have read that everyone, resident or not, is entitled to $500 of duty-free imports every 6 months when entering the country. How can we take advantage of this if we have to pass through “Checkpoint Charlie” north of Rio Claro? Do they honor this entitlement?

Or do we have to leave the malls in Paso Canoas via the Panama exit and then declare them with Customs at the border (running through the middle of Paso Canoas)?

Does the $500 exemption include alcohol?…

I have heard horror stories of gringos having their Paso Canoas purchases confiscated by the Customs at Checkpoint Charlie, with a stiff fine to be paid at Cartago in order to retrieve them.

Thanks for any information…

Thanks for any info…

Jackie Minchillo
    Participant

Hi Micheal,

It’s my personal understanding that you’re allowed $500 of duty free items when entering Costa Rica via any international border, every 3 months. I have reached out to our legal expert though to confirm this, if he gets back to me with different information I will let you know.

In terms of what’s considered duty free, you can find that information on the Costa Rican embassy’s website: http://www.costarica-embassy.org/index.php?q=node/111

As you’ll see on that web page, it does include an alcohol allowance of up to 5 liters per person.

I do not have personal experience with bringing in duty-free items at Paso Canoas, but I would imagine as long as you have your duty free receipts and are under the limit, you should be okay. If I come across any other helpful info with regard to this topic I’ll definitely pass it along.

-Jackie

Jackie Minchillo
    Participant

Hi Micheal,

Our legal expert Roger Petersen shared a couple more pieces of info with me. He did confirm a $500 limit for travelers entering every 6 months (I thought 3 as you’ll see above, which he has corrected). He was able to confirm alcohol is separate, but you still can only bring up to the allotted amount – 5 liters as you’ll see on the embassy website. He also confirmed these rules apply when shopping in Paso Canoas, and you will be required to stop at the customs checkpoint in Costa Rica to complete a customs declaration form.

-Jackie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.