What can I bring on the plane?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum What can I bring on the plane?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SHAUN LJUNGGREN
    Participant

Hi Guys-

I’m having a hard time figuring out what the newest restrictions are regarding new electronics on the plane. The family and I have had our residence visas for about 3 months and are in the US now on vacation. We all have our older iPads, iPhones and macs with us but are considering upgrading everything while we are here. I’m wondering if anyone knows how many new and old items we are allowed to bring into Ecuador of each. Specifically, is there a limit on how many iPads, iPhones and computers we can each bring back into Ecuador? We would like to bring our new stuff and old stuff back to Ecuador.

For clarity, I’m trying to figure out, each person is allowed X computers, X iPads and X iPhones.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks-
    Shaun

Hi Shaun,

You hear a lot of different things about this, but here’s what I can tell you from experience. Please keep in mind that these things change from time to time, and you should always check with the Consulate and the airline if in doubt. When we visit the states, we have our Ecuadorian iPhones, our US iPhones, we each have an iPad, and then I have at least one laptop. I used to also have a work Blackberry, and we have returned with new models of iPad and laptops. I’ve never had a problem, or had to explain. What they are looking for is people who are bringing in devices to sell them in Ecuador. If they are not packed up in shrink-wrapped boxes, and are clearly in use, you should not have a problem. When we bring a new item, we remove it from the packing materials.

-jim

Hi Shaun,

Rules and regulations in Ecuador tend to change frequently, so I would check the aduana website (www.aduana.gob.ec) and/or call your local consulate to get the most up-to-date information. But I did find a helpful site with pretty recent info on what you can bring back on a plane. Here’s the regs from October of 2016 and here’s an update from May of 2017.

To the best of my knowledge, these are still accurate, but like I said it would be wise to check with a higher authority before bringing your goods into the country.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.