What to eat, drink, and not…

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum What to eat, drink, and not…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    LARRY ROSE
    Participant

My wife and I will be in Ecuador for 2 weeks, and wondering if anyone has some guidelines as far as what to stay away from as far as eating and drinking. We will be in multiple towns and Cities: Quito Cotacachi, Mindo, Cuenca and Vilcabamba. Cut fruits, salads, drinks with ice, etc.

Hi Larry,

In Quito and Cuenca, the water supplies should be fine. However, as someone who has traveled a lot, I have to say that I ALWAYS drink bottled water if I am on a 2-4 week trip, and avoid drinks with ice unless I’m sure of the source. To me, it is just a minor precaution to take to make sure you enjoy the trip. I always wash my fruits and vegetables from the local mercado in an anti-biotic wash – again, maybe not strictly necessary, just a precaution.

That said, I have visited all of the cities you listed (except Mindo), and I’ve had fruits, salads, etc. at many restaurants without any problems. For example, I remember “La Esquina” in Vilcabamba in particular as being a small, local restaurant with excellent food. The only thing I’d suggest you avoid as a “newbie” are the carts you may see, street vendors cooking or making juice somewhere without running water or refrigeration.

Those are beautiful areas, and you should have a great time and find some new and interesting dishes! Enjoy!

Like Jim, I also use only bottled water while traveling as a precautionary measure. I have been to each of those locations and never had a problem with food or drink in any of them – but my body is also acclimated to Ecuador and not much phases me anymore. For someone on a vacation/exploratory trip I would advise using extra caution just to be on the safe side.

Most places are just fine and have good health standards, but if you have any doubts about a restaurant just leave and go elsewhere. I would avoid the street food for now and all juices in small towns as it’s possible they are made with unfiltered water. If you buy your own fruits and vegetables for eating at home, they’re very easy to clean with just a bit of white vinegar and filtered water.

Enjoy your trip!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.