Where to buy furniture

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Where to buy furniture

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DAN W.

Hi everyone,

I’m looking into buying furniture, I heard of a furniture store in Ibarra called muebles catedral, but then I red in a blog a woman had problems there. Are there any good furniture stores in Cotacachi, Otabalo, or Ibarra you know of. I’m also looking for a place that can make curtains for my windows. Please help.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

“Good” furniture is in the eye of the buyer, I think. There is a furniture and appliance store on the corner of 10 de agosto across at the traffic light across from the mercado/bus station in Cotacachi. I know some people who have purchased furniture there and been pleased. There are actually several small shops in Cotacachi that sell furniture. Pop into any of them as you are walking around town and see what you think.

If you walk from the bus station in Otavalo to Plaza de Ponchos you should walk by several furniture stores. I don’t know how great the quality is at these places. You’ll have to take a look and see what you think.

Personally, we had almost all of our furniture made by local craftsmen. Adobe Made is one company that many expats use and they made our dining table and chairs. They have an office next to Cafe Lafayette in the big plaza with the mural on Bolivar Street. We also used a local carpenter named Carlos to make our bar stools, bed frame, dressers, coffee and incidental tables. He speaks only Spanish but is very easy to deal with. I can send along his tel # if you like… just let me know? There is also a man named Hugo that made our couch. Ask some of the other expats how to find him… he has moved several times. While he did a good job for us he was not too reliable for our neighbor.

Finally, there are loads of furniture shops in San Antonio de Ibarra — mostly Ecuador-style stuff. And the upscale modern stores in Quito… and they’ll deliver for a reasonable price. (We bought our sofa bed from Colineal, across the street from the Swissotel.)

DAN W.

Thank you Suzan. Yes, if you could I would like to have Carlos’s info. Also do you know a place for curtains? Thanks again

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I’ll dig up that number for you. I had my curtains made. Bought the fabric in Otavalo — there are several fabric stores there and I found a seamstress in Cotacachi to make them. There is also a guy named Cesar in Otavalo who does high-tech shades and window treatments. I’ll find that number for you as well.

DAN W.

Suzan, do you know if blinds are sold in the stores in Cotacachi? You know those inexpensive ready to instal blinds we buy at the store here in the states.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I’ve never seen them.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Carlos the carpenter: 098 512 8173

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

To find the fabric stores in Otavalo, go th the southwest corner of Poncho Plaza and walk south on the street leaving the plaza. In the first or second block ( can’t remember exactly which) are several fabric stores on both sides of the street.

DAN W.

Thank you Suzan, you are the best. The information has been most helpful.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.