Where to stay…

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Where to stay…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    LARRY ROSE
    Participant

We will be flying in on 11/25 arriving at 9pm. We want to go to Cotacachi the next morning. Where would be the best place to sty the night instead of going in and out of Quito?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Larry, there are a couple of places to stay right near the airport. There is a new Wyndham Quito Airport that I understand is very nice. (Haven’t stayed there yet but will on our next trip.) It’s called the Condor because is is shaped like a condor. http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/ecuador/quito/wyndham-quito-airport/hotel-overview

And if you want a budget option, I’d suggest Quito Airport Suites: http://airporthotelquito.com The rooms are small and the walls are thin but it is comfortable and the staff is very sweet and nice. Ask them for an airport pick-up. I think they may charge $10 for that, but ask to verify.

Do you have transportation to Cotacachi the next morning? Most drivers should know both of these locations but be sure to give them the address and phone number to be sure.

LARRY ROSE
    Participant

Was thinking of renting a car and driving to Cotacachi for 2 nts then to Mindo for 2 nights. Then we are taking a flight to Cuenca. We will then spend 3 nights in Cuenca, and then off to Vilcabamba for 4 nts then back to Quito for 2 nights. Not sure whether to rent a car to go to Vilcabamba or not

LARRY ROSE
    Participant

Does this sound realistic? Never been to Ecuador

I think your plan sounds fine as long as you are comfortable driving in a foreign country. Ecuador’s roads and drivers are not as crazy as many places, but the driving style is a bit different than the U.S. and some road rules are taken as more of a suggestion.

Your time frame and schedule looks completely doable, especially if you do have your own vehicle. You can rent a car to drive to Vilcabamba from Cuenca or you can easily take a bus. The driving distance between the two places is about four hours.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Larry, this website may be helpful: http://www.cuencacarshare.com

LARRY ROSE
    Participant

Thank you Susan and Wendy!

Larry, if you’re staying at Hostal Izhcayluma in Vilcabamba, they have a daily shuttle that runs back and forth to Cuenca.

John Silverman
    Participant

we are two couples in mid 60’s. we will arrive first week of November. we would like to know of a couple good hotels in Quito. we will take a few day trips and then maybe venture off to Tena and the edge of the Amazon if we can find a good driver for 3-4 days. Any suggestions on a centrally located hotel in downtown Quito would be greatly appreciated. Also any leads on a good guide would also be appreciated

Randall Evans
    Participant

John – we stayed at Stubel Suites & Cafe just 1km from the business district and Swissotel. We got the hotel through Booking.com for around $80/night incl tax. A private driver, Julio, is available with a little advance notice arranged by the desk, or perhaps even if you are in the lobby around 7am. He just showed up the morning we were looking to go checkout the equator. We got a couple of side trips as well. Next day he took on a personal guided walk of Old Town. Really nice, informative guide. I do not know if he will do the trip to Tena, but locally I would be hard pressed to find a better personal driver. Caution – take it easy the 1st day there, unless you come from a high altitude location.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

I like Hotel Andino in Quito: great location, great family that runs it, in the $35-$40 range but they are often sold out. See the “Travel Itineraries” section of this website for more input.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.