Which city has the best weather?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Which city has the best weather?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Thinking about retiring to Ecuador…not too hot-not to cold.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hmmm, that depends on what your definition of “hot”…or “cold”…is…

Ecuador has four “regions” — Sierra (or mountains), the Oriente (Amazon basin), the Coast, and the Galapagos. I doubt you would choose to live in the Galapagos or the Oriente, so that leaves the Sierra and the Coast.

Sierra weather is, day in and day out, like Colorado mountains in the SUMMERTIME (we’re on the equator so we don’t have winter.) We live in Cotacachi in northern Ecuador at 8,000 ft. elevation and it’s perfect for me, (70F to 75F during the day and 50F at night) but some find it “too cold.” You’ll find much the same weather in Quito and Cuenca. If you think it would be too cold for you here, I’d suggest you check out Loja or Vilcabamba. They’re at lower elevations (4500 ft.) and therefore warmer.

Along the Coast, climates are fairly temperate, but you’ll find it gets hot and humid November – February. And weather patterns can vary along the coast – -you’ll find pockets that get more sunshine than others, thanks to the Humboldt Current that flows up from Peru.

Read somewhere that Cuenca climate has become Seattle-like with rainy days being the norm?

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Ecuador has only two seasons: Wet (winter) and dry (summer). I know Cuenca had a lot of rain during this most recent rainy season, but they’re in the midst of a glorious summer now. Let me tell you, I’ll take an Ecuador winter over a Nebraska winter any time — I happen to love the rain and fog. You really need to experience it for yourself to find out if you like it or not.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.