Which Vaccinations and Injections are recommended?

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Which Vaccinations and Injections are recommended?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DONALD BIRCH
    Participant

Recently, my wife and I had a consultation with a Travel Medicine doctor.  For Salinas,Ecuador  he strongly recommended injections for Yellow Fever, Tetanus, Hepatitis A , and  Typhoid ; (and also thought Hepatitis B shots are a good idea).  We agreed to  the strongly recommended injections but  passed on the Hepatitis B ones – which are a series of 3 shots.  What are other people doing re: vaccinations and injections for residency and travel in Ecuador ?

Donald, when I first moved to Ecuador 12 years ago we, too, got the CDC-recommended vaccinations — same as those you mention here. (We did get the Hep B) I’m not sure if we really needed them (and a lot of people are vehemently against vaccinations of any kind) but for us, it’s now a done deal.

I do know from experience that if you ever travel from Ecuador or Colombia with your destination as Costa Rica you will need to have your original international health certificate at hand proving you have had the Yellow Fever vaccination. Costa Rica is the only country I’ve had this issue with – -but if you’ve had the vaccination, then you’re good to go as long as you have the proof…your card. Supposedly, Ecuador has eradicated malaria so you won’t need that. But do be careful of dengue if you go to the coast. You can’t get a vaccination for that, so wear your repellant and use mosquito nets or screens on your windows while you sleep. Take these precautions and you should be fine.

Actually, most people do nothing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.