Would like to know how good the online internet service is throughout Panama

Homepage Forums Panama Insider Would like to know how good the online internet service is throughout Panama

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I would like more details about the types of service available throughout Panama and if some of the faster methods are available even when getting out into some of the smaller communities in Panama. I run an internet marketing business and use the computer a lot and would like to know if cable is available or if it is mostly DSL lines. Is satellite service available and is it expensive. Thank you.

Hi William- thanks for posting. Panama has excellent internet services and coverage in all but the most remote areas. It’s typically ranked among the best in Central America, and even Mark Zuckerberg is getting involved! He met with our President Varela at the Summit of the Americas to sign Panama up for the new access app, internet.org.

I’m no techie or digital expert, so I don’t know the specifics, but I can tell you that cable, DSL and satellite are all available here. I have cable service through Cable Onda at my home in David, and I pay about $40 per month for 9 meg service. My work depends on the internet and I’m very happy with the service I have.

Other providers in Panama include Claro, Digicel, Cable & Wireless, Planet Telecom, Movistar, Mobil Phone, WIPET and paNETma.

There are more and more people here working from home via the internet, both nationals and expats, and the providers have responded with improved service to meet the demand.

I hope this helps, and feel free to post additional questions you may have.
    Linda

Hi William,

A lot will depend on precisely what type of speed you need and what region of Panama you’re interested in.

Most everywhere you’d visit nowadays offers connections good enough to watch streaming video or upload bulky files to your cloud. But the fastest, most reliable connections are probably those offered in Panama City and David/Boquete (in these locations, Cable & Wireless recently launched a 15mb service for around $45 a month…just Internet or for those who want it, internet, tv, and telephony in a bundle package.)

There are some pockets…places like Santa Fe, Pedasi, even Casco Viejo (the historic district of Panama City)…that may not suit for big internet needs.

As Linda says above, both cable and DSL are used here…however my understanding is that there are some pockets where you’ll have access to only cable or DSL but not both.

Yes, satellite is more expensive from what I’ve heard; you might try contacting a company like Inmarsat directly for specifics, see: http://www.inmarsat.com/press-release/inmarsats-ground-breaking-isathub-service-makes-latin-american-debut-panama/

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jessica

Jessica Ramesch – IL Panama Editor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.