Would like to meet expats in Cuenca.

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Would like to meet expats in Cuenca.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LARRY S.
    Participant

Hello, My family is visiting Ecuador for the first time in Jan. and looking into relocating in the near future. After investigating, especially using IL, we are most interested in Cuenca. I was wondering if some expats wouldn’t mind meeting over coffee or beer for us to ask questions about their experiences. We will be in town from Jan 28 to Jan 30. Beer is on me. Thanks a lot for all of your help. I will have capability to call on cell phone or text or e-mail. Larry

Raymond Murphy
    Participant

Hi Larry… I’m in the same situation as you, planning my first trip on May 25th. Sorry I’m not able to respond to your request, but I would very much be interested in talking with you after your trip. I’ve done hours and hours of research, so maybe we can learn from each other. Please get back to me as you learn more, especially after you complete your trip. I’m fairly certain that my choice will also be Cuenca, and that’s where I’m concentrating my research. Hope to talk to you soon. – Raymond Murphy

Expat hangouts in Cuenca include San Sebas Cafe, Fabiano’s, Sabatino’s, Inca Lounge, Windhorse Cafe, and Restaurante Don Colon. Subscribe to Gringo Post (a Cuenca community bulletin board) and post a request to meet folks when you are in town. You’ll leave Cuenca with more friends than you would have thought possible.

LARRY S.
    Participant

Thanks for the advice Edd. That’s what I’ll do. Raymond, I’ll be more than happy to tell you my about our experiences in Ecuador. I’ll probably post something soon after the trip (we get back on Feb 1) and if you want more info than that, we can figure it out. Thanks to everyone for their help. Larry

Bill Howes
    Participant

This is not a reply to Larry S. but rather a comment to those prior concerns over ATM fees in Ecuador by fellow Canadians.
    I’ve just been on the phone with a Servus Credit Union foreign advisor here in Alberta. As we experienced in 5.5 months in Mexico last winter, she assured me that withdrawals of $ 500 Cdn.(max.) would cost $3.00 per withdrawal. Does $6.00 to $9.00 per month for ATM fees
    create a problem for people (Cdns) immigrating to a new country?? That’s less than a bottle of decent red wine in Mexico.
    Bill H.

Bill Howes
    Participant

Hi Again
    In looking over my prior comments ,I forgot to mention that I simply used my Servus Credit Union debit card in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico.
    BillH.

Bill Howes
    Participant

Hi
    While I’m on here I’d like ask ” where is everybody?” I’m planning to move to Quito in April. I hope to apply for 9.1 Visa, store extra suitcase and hit the road. (Bus that is.). I want to visit Susan & Dan in Coticochi, return to Quito and bus to Manta. Then back to Quito and bus down south, stopping wherever my (‘gut -Dan * ) says so, until Quayaguil or Cuenca or Loja shows up.
    I would love to meet one or two Canadians in each place to ‘shoot the breeze’.
    I plan to also register this request on Expat.com (Am I allowed to Advertise?)
    Bill H.

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Bill, just a note but I use Capital One for both banking and VISA card and they reverse the charges for ATM fees…so I pay nothing in fees, just the way I like it! And wait until you see the price for a “decent” bottle of wine in Ecuador. It’s outrageous. Mexico is a full-on bargain comparatively, especially now with the exchange rate at more than 18 pesos to the USD. (13 pesos to the CAD) If you like wine, grab your limit in Duty Free…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.