Would really like to have an ongoing conversation with a couple of people

Homepage Forums Ecuador Insider Forum Would really like to have an ongoing conversation with a couple of people

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DONA DEES

Would really like to have direct contact with a couple of people in our age group (60’s) regarding life in Cottacachi, Vilacabamba, Ibarra, Salinas and the farming district north of Quito . If anyone actually lives or has lived in these areas we would like to have an honest conversation. Thanks

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

Hi Dona, let’s see if someone chimes in here. Wendy and I are both happy to answer questions about living in Cotacachi, although I am much closer to your age group than she is.

If you are on Facebook, there are a couple of groups you might reach out to: Cotacachi Expats, Ecuador Expats, and Ruta del Sol Mates being three where you’ll find local expats willing to share their opinions (sometimes far more than you’d like). 🙂

DONA DEES

Thanks Susan, I guess a big thing is I am noticing that the temperature is around 4 degrees in the morning at Cotacatchi. We live in British Columbia, Canada and that is a little chilli compared to here. Can you tell me. If this is. The colder time of year there or when is the actual split for the seasons there. Not that I think 4 degrees is cold. Just trying to get a feel for necessary clothing planning etc. we plan to rent once we get there but really haven’t gotten a handle on what the neighbourhoods look like. We think we would like to be in a house but not right in a town. Are there areas that are better to stay away from. I have gotten the impression that Cotacatchi is a safe place so haven’t been too worried about that. I also hear the water is great . Ok so I am starting to ramble. I will check out those web sites and try to zero in on more specific questions. Our home is listed and as soon as it sells we only have one plan, go to Ecuador. We spent a month in Costa Rica last year and loved it but want to check out Ecuador before deciding where to retire. We met you and Dan at the IL fast track to CR. Conference at the Marriott . Have been researching all year but still have many question. Looking forward to getting the answers. Cheers. Dona

SUZAN HASKINS
    Participant

4 degrees? I don’t think so. Even if that’s 4 C that can’t be right. The temperature in Cotacachi averages 45 to 75 F. We sleep with our windows open and love it. We don’t have heat or AC nor do we feel the need for that. I have heard some people say that Cotacachi, Quito and Cuenca are too cold for them but for someone coming for BC you ought to be very comfortable. (Cotacachi is the warmest of those three places I just mentioned.)

We have two seasons—rainy/winter and dry/summer. I actually prefer the rainy season which is November to April. It rains mostly in the late afternoons or evenings and I love the fog and mist.

Yes, Cotacachi is a very safe village. You might want to look at the community called San Miguel. It’s about a 6-block walk to the heart of town. You’ll find rentals all over the village, though, and I don’t think there are any in any area to be avoided.

DONA DEES

Thanks Susan, I couldn’t figure out how it could be that cool there. I mean I like it cool but the temperatures you quoted are great. I like sunshine but not too hot. When we went to Costa Rica it was 41 degrees Celsius here at home and much cooler there. I was grateful. As I find winters too cold and summers too hot I am thankful for spring and fall. It is beautiful here but I think the weather in certain spots in Ecuador will suit me better. I will check out San Migel for sure. Can’t wait for our house to sell and get boots on the ground to start exploring. Do you know of anyone in your area from BC? We really want to be in a community where we can get involved and be useful. Definitely practicing our spanish now and hope to have at least survival level by the time we get there. Are there any Spanish Emerson schools in your area? I am finding our communication very helpful. Thanks so much for your time. I know you are involved in several things that take up your time.

Hi Dona,

I hope you don’t mind if I chime in here. There are quite a few Canadians in Cotacachi, and I know there are at least a couple from B.C. Plus several of us from northern Washington and Idaho which are close by. There are a lot of opportunities to get involved here in Cotacachi by volunteering with the local charities or simply helping out individual families on your own. I don’t know of any Spanish immersion schools right in Cotacachi, but there are several in nearby Otavalo and plenty of individual Spanish teachers right here in town.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.